FINISHING SAUCE (for Pulled Pork)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks, Mr. Bill! It's been difficult to motivated on the Forum with all that's going on with my Father. I just pray I get to spend at least one more Holiday Season with him.

But Hey.........it's cookin' season around the Davis houshold, so let's start 'Quing!!!!!!

Jeff

Jeff, I was going to give you a hard time about giving up those rub recipes that you talked about earlier in this thread. Instead I think I will just offer up a prayer for your dad. I hope things are well.

Jamie

Jamie,

TY, all prayers are very much welcomed! On the other hand, my rub recipes are kept very close to the heart. Only one person @ SMF have I shared my Brisket Rub with, and I must have had a weak moment...... :shock:

Perhaps one day I'll have another......................?

Jeff

Hi Jeff -

Just did a brisket, finishing in the oven and put a shoulder in the smoker. Will try your sause with the pork, tomorrow when it's done.

Wish I would have seen this post yesterday. OUCH! (kicked myself real hard) OUCH (again)

Sorry Jeff I really wanted to try your sauce today on my first smoked shoulder but I didn't have any cider vinegar or Tony Chads Cajun Seasoning so I winged it:

Deejay's Dipping Sauce

2 juiced lemons
1 teaspoon White Pepper
1 teaspoon Sea Salt
1 teaspoon Bulk Cajun Spice
5 teaspoons Malple Sryup
5 teaspoons Tomatoe Style BBQ sauce

WOW! I never had a dipping sauce before. I may never eat naked meat again!

:lol:

Debi

PS I use lemons alot instead of vinegar and it really makes things stand out.

Hi Jeff, I'm smoking a shoulder as I type this. I've made a batch of your finishing sauce and it's in the fridge for the night and will try it tomorrow. I'm 3 hours into the smoke so it's going to a long night. <when my son gets home he can take over>:) I lost my mind when heating the cider vinegar, I leaned over it and took a good smell ... needless to say it wasn't a good experience getting a big whiff of warm vinegar steam up my nose if I had a cold It should be gone now. laugh ..

Joe

LOL! The vapors of hot vinegar can take your breath away, for sure!

The trick is not to overdue the finishing sauce or it will turn your pork into mush. Apply liberally, but don't "coat" it like a Barbeque Sauce.

Good luck and let us know how the shoulder turns out with the F.S.

Jeff

P.S. - My finishing sauce is best used while the pork is still hot from the smoker or dry cooler and freshly pulled.

So is that what it is when the southern women say they have the "Vapors" lol.. I'll let ya know how the finishing sauce is .. I followed it to the T.

Joe

It sure did, I smoked the shoulder with maple and finished it off in the oven <temp here dropped into the low 30's>, took the juices and chilled them so I could remove the fat content, reduced them and added your finishing sauce to the mix..I really enjoyed the flavor and so did the wife and kid. thanks again

Joe

I use one of these to seperate the fat. It works great.

B0002EVPDA.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Trudeau 0991105 Gravy/Fat Separator

That's an interesting way to do my finishing sauce. Normally, after you have placed the Butt in the pan and hand pulled (discarding the unwanted pieces), you simply shake the sauce over the pork then mix it in with your gloved hand. But as I always say...............it's what works for you!

Glad you and your family liked the sauce.

Jeff

Joe, I have a friend that's into holistic/natural cures and what not for whatever ails you and he always swore that gargling with warmed cider vinegar always cured him of sore throats and laryngitis.

Well- LeRoy-he shows up on my doorstep one day when I'm sick as a dog (sore throat and laryngitis) and somehow in my dulled senses, I allow him to talk me into gargling with some cider vinegar. While the vinegar is slowly warming on the stove, he gives me all the reasons why holistic/natural cures are the best-yada, yada, yada. (Like I'm in any condition to talk back :roll: ) While I'm gargling away, he goes on to tell me the proper method to gargle for sure fired effectiveness when I begin to feel a small trickle going down the back of my throat along about the time he says "Whatever you do, you don't what to swallow any of the vinegar." (NOW he tells me as my gag reflexes kick into overdrive). What vinegar was still in my mouth came out with an explosive reaction, the vinegar vapors taking what breath I did have away and my gag reflexes still running amok :shock: -well- a gasping, wheezing fat man does not a pretty picture make. :cry: Did it work? My throat was not only just sore, it was now on fire, I did however have a voice- not my everyday pleasant to listen to; lully babies to sleep voice- but a voice that sounded like rocks being shaken in the bottom of a very deep bucket. I did however manage to croak out an invitation to LeRoy to take advantage of my incapacitated state and beat feet for home before I could regain my wits and show him a rather creative place for him to store his bottle of cider vinegar. :twisted: Though I'm not a drinking man, I'll stick to Cousin Jack and his old #7 for whatever ails this ol' boy!! 8)

Dutch, I'm taking it that the vinegar "folk remedy" cure didn't work. The vinegar did take my breath away also, I alway give whatever I am cooking the "smell" test first before I got to the taste test. I'll stick with old #7 myself as long as I am not driving. :) That was a funny story, sorry for laughing I couldn't help myself.

Happy Holidays,

Joe

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky