• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

FINISHING SAUCE (for Pulled Pork)

lovespicyfood

Fire Starter
Joined Dec 7, 2014
Used this yesterday on a ~11 pound picnic, my third ever smoke. The meat came out well, but I think this finishing sauce really helped because it would have been pretty bland for my tastes. I used Pappy's seasoning as it was all I had. My daughter loved it and she is normally quite picky! Thank you for posting!

phillipwd

Joined Feb 16, 2015
Tried it, died and went to Heaven, shared it with everyone there and I am glad to say that smoking meat is now allowed up here ;-)

kboss714

Fire Starter
Joined Mar 29, 2015
This post is what I was looking for to find out what a finishing sauce was I kept reading about finishing sauces in pulled pork recipes but never know what they were so thank you.

ralar

Joined Mar 23, 2015
My first ever butt is smoking right now, so I'm thrilled I stumbled upon this recipe. Thanks, Jeff!

intelops

Joined May 13, 2015
Greetings from Finland! Just cooked this sauce for upcoming restaurant day, got 12 pounds of porkneck in the fridge, brined and rubbed, ready to go for smoker tomorrow.Usually i don't use sauces, but i like my vinegar with pork..

beeboy

Fire Starter
Joined Nov 29, 2014
This sauce is amazing! Everybody loved it! I made one exception though, I am a beekeeper, so I have lots of honey most of the time, & I try honey with everything. I added a couple tablespoons of honey with this original recipe & WOW! Of course you can add more or less honey to suit your taste. I loved the original recipe the way it was, but the honey made such a beautiful melody with the vinegar...

mtredfish

Joined Jul 9, 2015
I have used this sauce on routine occasion, mostly for shoulders as his comment about the "gamey" meat can be spot on. Also, fresh ham too....but you have to score the skin, and it's not really a pulled cut, but I like this sauce on it and it makes great sammies!!

I did modify his original slightly and I do the 1/2C Cider Vinegar and 1/2C Apple Cider...and added a recent twist by using orange juice instead of apple cider as I had nothing else with enough natural sugar in the pantry. Had a really great tang and the acid seemed to enhance the pork fat flavor.....Mmmmm. I will add that the citrus version went better with my pulled chicken....

Mike

GaryHibbert

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 20, 2013
Hey Jeff

I smoked a pork butt yesterday for pulled pork.  I've never used a finishing sauce before, so I decided to try yours.  I couldn't believe how GOOD it was.  After I made it up, I had a taste and thought it was pretty strong in the vinegar dept, but once added to the PP on the bun with coleslaw, it was fantastic. It is now my go-to sauce for PP.

Thanks for sharing

Gary

bodbob

Fire Starter
Joined Jun 27, 2015
Thanks for posting this reciipe Jeff. You can bet I'll be trying it on my next batch of pulled pork.

Best,

BB

bauchjw

Master of the Pit
Joined Aug 3, 2015
View media item 420668
Thank you Jeff. This was my introduction to finishing sauce and my neighbors and family loved it. Not a lot left of 10 pounds of pork, your recipe definitely made a newbie pit taste advanced!

mummel

Master of the Pit
Joined Apr 8, 2015
Im probably in the minority here but my go to these days is Sweet Baby Rays and Sticky Fingers Sweet Carolina Classic.  LOVE IT.  My wife's homemade TGIs rib sauce is also kick ass but takes time to make. 

rabbithutch

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 15, 2011
That is very much like the Eastern North Carolina bbq sauce that I've eaten and made for most of my 73 years. I have used honey, molasses, pancake syrup on occasion to sweeten it a bit. I have also put a quarter stick of butter in it and used it to barbecue chickens on a hot grill - just swab it on after puncturing the breasts and thighs.

Last edited:

rolldog

Joined Jun 6, 2015
Thanks I was looking for a sauce, going to make it now as my 10 lb shoulder is done and tented... CHEERS from Canada

Rollie

muralboy

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jul 17, 2015
I've used a very similar recipe, but cooked the shoulder in the slow cooker/roaster in the sauce as well as using it for the finishing sauce.  About another 1/2 cup of cider vinegar though.

Put it on a bun with some cole slaw - Nice alternative to a traditional BBQ sauce.

firescout

Joined Oct 27, 2015
I just joined the forum and am happy to see this as my first sauce. I'm excited to try it. Thanks for the post!

toad359

Fire Starter
Joined Nov 14, 2015
Is Creole seasoning the same as Cajun seasoning or do I need to go to the store?

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.