Finally.....we have bark sighting...

Discussion in 'Pork' started by bulldogbacchus, Dec 29, 2010.

1. I have been dissatisfied with the bark on my ribs. Yesterday, I used Jeff's rib rub for the first time. I rubbed the ribs with oil instead of mustard. I am much happier. 4 hours on BGE at about 200. One hour in foil. Rested in fridge overnight. Finished with a glaze this evening.....last pic only shows two slabs.....d..n things have a way of disappearing around here. 

I am definitely going to have to build something bigger though. I love the Egg, but I cant cook whole slabs on it without burning the ends of them. I am thinking an insulated vertical about 30 inches wide.....[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. rdknb

rdknb Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

they look very good yummy

3. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Nice job! Keep us posted if you decide on the new smoker. [​IMG]

4. les3176

les3176 Master of the Pit

those look awesome..nice color.great bark....dang now i want ribs!!!

5. Hey, great look. I wish one would have dissapeared over here, but anyway. First good move on loosing the mustard. I use a nice coat of extra virgin olive oil on everything. Next, wrap the ends of your ribs with foil that will solve you problem.

6. Thanks for the kind words and the tip about wrapping.

7. fpnmf

fpnmf Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Fl
    Very nice. Those look real tasty.

I have a medium BGE and could never get it to hold temp under 275. Tried for years.

Bought an electric. Problem solved.  BGE is happy and so am I.

8. I get better bark with mustard personally. The bark has more to do with the sugar content of your rub.

9. I hear what you are saying. I am doing the next ones with mustard, even though I am pretty happy with these. " I got's to know".

10. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

NICE[​IMG]

11. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

Man oh Man those ribs look out of this world. If you were after some bark on ribs you sure found it alright.