Finally stocked up on pork fat....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 12, 2010
Omak,Washington,U.S.A.
Finally realized I had to go to a 'slaughter house' to get pork fat... local groceries, meat markets just won't help..
So, in February I contacted Double S meats and asked them to save me some pork fat... Today I got the call.... 'We have your pork fat'.. Our driver will be in Omak this afternoon and he will deliver it... OK !!!! It's free... They butcher folks animals and what ever they don't want, the meat dude can't sell it... It's not inspected or something... So, I got about 23#'s of prime pig fat for nada.... Around here, folks raise "exotics"... not many folks grow pink pigs... I found 2 black hairs on the meat... Probably couldn't see the white ones EH ?? So I'm happy....
Now I have to figure out what part of the pig the fat came from, so I can use the better stuff .... It all seemed fairly dense and hard... not like belly fat... He knew it was for sausage so maybe he culled the 'not so prime' fat...

Here's what I got.....

DSCF0135.JPG ... DSCF0136.JPG ... DSCF0137.JPG

Bagged in approx. 2.5# bread sack bags.... Then put in vac bags and sealed... in the freezer now...

That's a deal! Nobody slaughtering locally. I looked on-line and found a farm about 4 hours away. A bit of a drive. The part that blew me away...They had thick Backfat but want $3.59 per Pound!!! Same for Beef Suet, and split Beef/Pork Leg joints. Crazy...JJ

Reactions: daveomak.fs
Nice find! Guess there's advantages of living in iowa. Usually within a week or two can get pork fat or beef tallow from the butcher, free also

Ryan

Reactions: daveomak.fs
Looks like some good fat. Hard fat is good fat..
Thanks... I'll hopefully figure out which is which when I get to making stuff....

That's a deal! Nobody slaughtering locally. I looked on-line and found a farm about 4 hours away. A bit of a drive. The part that blew me away...They had thick Backfat but want $3.59 per Pound!!! Same for Beef Suet, and split Beef/Pork Leg joints. Crazy...JJ

I pay less than that for meat !!!!

Nice find! Guess there's advantages of living in iowa. Usually within a week or two can get pork fat or beef tallow from the butcher, free also

Ryan

Some of us are LUCKY !!!!

Nice
Now lets see some use from it.

Warren

I'm itching to get to making sausage again... Stand by.... but..... don't hold your breath...

Nice score Dave!!
Al

Thanks Al.... Yes it is.....

I find my best place to find pork fat is Asian markets because of their extensive use of pork, chicken and fish as their main protein. I personally find pork belly to offer a good amount of clean fat since it is used to make cured bacon. Even though I can make sausage, I tend to smoke the pork belly itself and make PB sandwiches most of the time. I really good offshoot of BLT sandwiches.

Reactions: daveomak
Dave
Nice score, there is a place around here that sells back fat, it is about a 30 Minuit drive for me but the price is just as much as buying regular pork butt. I bought some of it but then started to wonder why, I then just went back to pork butts. It is nice stuff but not worth that much in my opinion.

Cal

Finally realized I had to go to a 'slaughter house' to get pork fat... local groceries, meat markets just won't help..
So, in February I contacted Double S meats and asked them to save me some pork fat... Today I got the call.... 'We have your pork fat'.. Our driver will be in Omak this afternoon and he will deliver it... OK !!!! It's free... They butcher folks animals and what ever they don't want, the meat dude can't sell it... It's not inspected or something... So, I got about 23#'s of prime pig fat for nada.... Around here, folks raise "exotics"... not many folks grow pink pigs... I found 2 black hairs on the meat... Probably couldn't see the white ones EH ?? So I'm happy....
Now I have to figure out what part of the pig the fat came from, so I can use the better stuff .... It all seemed fairly dense and hard... not like belly fat... He knew it was for sausage so maybe he culled the 'not so prime' fat...

Here's what I got.....

View attachment 453332...View attachment 453333...View attachment 453334

Bagged in approx. 2.5# bread sack bags.... Then put in vac bags and sealed... in the freezer now...

Nice!

Did the guy confirm that none of the fat is from feral hogs? If it is then u will want to make sure you cook it to proper temps to deal with any micro-nasties.

Nice!

Did the guy confirm that none of the fat is from feral hogs? If it is then u will want to make sure you cook it to proper temps to deal with any micro-nasties.

We don't have feral hogs here.....

Looks like u are set my friend! That juicer looks cool, can't wait to see what u make with it :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky