Finally some BB Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Used the BB straight out of the box and cured for 14 days as I was gone. I think it only needs 7-8. I smoked it for 6 hours using apple and maple with the AMS. no heat for 3 hours then 150 for 1hr then upped to 200 for 2 hrs - took it out at 165

Hey Gary,

I haven't tried the 165˚ temp on BBB yet, but I've been thinking about it. That means you can eat it without frying it, like Canadian Bacon that was taken to 160˚ or 165˚ when smoked---Right?

How do you like the BBB cold, or just warmed up a little? I know I like the Canadian Bacon that I took to 165˚, just warmed up a bit.

Thanks,

Bear

Hey Gary,

I haven't tried the 165˚ temp on BBB yet, but I've been thinking about it. That means you can eat it without frying it, like Canadian Bacon that was taken to 160˚ or 165˚ when smoked---Right?

How do you like the BBB cold, or just warmed up a little? I know I like the Canadian Bacon that I took to 165˚, just warmed up a bit.

Thanks,

Bear
at first bear, that's where i was taking my BBB and it is pretty good on a cracker w/chz but as i have been dropping my finish temps i have been exposing it to longer smoke times and then cooking it in the pan longer it renders the fat and cooks more like belly and i have been liking my results.

at first bear, that's where i was taking my BBB and it is pretty good on a cracker w/chz but as i have been dropping my finish temps i have been exposing it to longer smoke times and then cooking it in the pan longer it renders the fat and cooks more like belly and i have been liking my results.
Yup, but your new way is my old way. I think when I have to fry it, after having already smoked it to 145˚, it gets too chewy for a BLT. I'm thinking smoking it to 165˚ & then only having to warm it a bit, might make for a less chewy Bacon for a BLT. Then when you bite into it, you don't pull the whole slice out, and you're left sitting there with a very tasty piece of BBB hanging out of your mouth, and two pieces of toast, with a salad inside, in your paws.

Bear

icon_cool.gif

Now thats some great looking BB bacon. I need to do some soon for my cousin.

......after having already smoked it to 145˚, it gets too chewy for a BLT.... 

Bear
i'm pulling it around 130, cooling it, slicing it and freezing it. when i slice it thin i can get it to crisp up like belly and it isn't as chewy. i have been there like you with a salad and 2 giant croutons slathered with mayo...........
PDT_Armataz_01_07.gif

'member.......i'm still a rookie!

LOL---But your old way could soon be my new way too.

i'm pulling it around 130, cooling it, slicing it and freezing it. when i slice it thin i can get it to crisp up like belly and it isn't as chewy. i have been there like you with a salad and 2 giant croutons slathered with mayo...........
PDT_Armataz_01_07.gif
Hmmm, I sliced it pretty thin, but I would guess I could slice it even thinner. That could solve the empty crouton problem. 

No Rob, not with a knife!!!! With my slicer!!! Dang Ninja!!!

I heard you Ninjas could slice bacon with a plain old knife, so thin there is only one side to it ????

Bear

Brian....What are you thinking?  Not tried it yet!

BBB is so simple and the results are outstanding.  Make lots cuz you'll end up sharing it with friends and family.

GREAT JOB SCAR!!!

Todd

i have been dropping my finished temps as of late and have been pleased with the results............also if you butterfly the butt you get more surface area for the smoke to penetrate.

How about a "How To" on the butterfly thing?

I end up butchering the shoulder into pieces.

THANKS!

TJ

How about a "How To" on the butterfly thing?

I end up butchering the shoulder into pieces.

THANKS!

TJ
That's because you're not a Ninja Warrior like Chefrob.

Rob you better show him, before he hurts himself or somebody else!

Bear

Jeez, I was only gone for two days and I come back to this. I think we should decend in mass on Robs house and take Ninja lessons. I think a week or so would be good. That way he can also do some tamales and some of his great "pork buns" that he served Mrs Scar and I last time

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky