Finally got a little fishing in

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

clifish

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 25, 2019
Long Island, NY
Got another chance to go out to Montauk Point, Long Island, caught a 5lb fluke, tons of seabass and porgies.
montauk1-jpg.jpg

Lost the first hour of the charter rescuing 2 older kayakers that thought it would be good to launch from the beach into the ocean off Montauk point and they both got caught in the rip currents and dragged out.

montauk2-jpg.jpg

In the same marina, Jimmy Buffets 4 boats all color matched in his blue. The biggest one must have been out fishing.
montauk3-jpg.jpg

Nice , any day on the water is better than most other things being done ( most ) lol

Nice Fluke, we call them flounders up here, I have never caught 5 pounder or more . Normally
around 2 - 3 pounds for me where we go
But would love to catch a big Halibut, that and swordfish are tops for me

David

Nice , any day on the water is better than most other things being done ( most ) lol

Nice Fluke, we call them flounders up here, I have never caught 5 pounder or more . Normally
around 2 - 3 pounds for me where we go
But would love to catch a big Halibut, that and swordfish are tops for me

David
Fluke and flounder are two totally different species, both are a flat fish. I would love to head north and go for some Halibut.

Reactions: Retired Spook
Sorry Cliff,,
Just our books here say that same fish. Was not trying to correct you. This is just what they call them up here

Fluke fish are also known as summer flounders and are flatfish that live from Florida into Nova Scotia. Because flukes have a very mild flavor, they're a popular fish to catch recreationally. Fluke fish have a flat body and distinctive appearance.Mar 17, 2022

this is from a book

But yes
Halibut is my goal to try and catch one someday off our shores

David

Last edited:
Reactions: clifish
Kudo's on helping the yakers.
yeah they were SOL, two brothers in their late 60's and where totally wiped when we got to them. The first one had a whistle otherwise we just thought he was waving. What I did not like was that his life preserver was not on but in the back of the kayak. Now maybe he took it off due to the struggling in the heat???? After we dragged him into the boat we tried towing his kayak but it flipped in the wave and currents, he lost all his gear. But he was so relieved that he made it out he did not care. He knew he was in deep trouble.

I'm just curious...does that flat fish, no matter what it's called, mean it should be cooked on a flattop? :emoji_blush:

Ryan
Great deed helping those guys out, I’m glad he had a whistle! Awesome fish! Can’t wait to see what you do with it!
yes I am sure it will be flaptop of some sort. In NH now visiting my son before he starts his new PE/Health teaching job so it will have to wait.

Got another chance to go out to Montauk Point, Long Island, caught a 5lb fluke, tons of seabass and porgies.
View attachment 641335

Lost the first hour of the charter rescuing 2 older kayakers that thought it would be good to launch from the beach into the ocean off Montauk point and they both got caught in the rip currents and dragged out.

View attachment 641336

In the same marina, Jimmy Buffets 4 boats all color matched in his blue. The biggest one must have been out fishing.
View attachment 641337
Awesome!!!! :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

Nice Fluke!

Man I miss home.

yeah they were SOL, two brothers in their late 60's and where totally wiped when we got to them. The first one had a whistle otherwise we just thought he was waving. What I did not like was that his life preserver was not on but in the back of the kayak. Now maybe he took it off due to the struggling in the heat???? After we dragged him into the boat we tried towing his kayak but it flipped in the wave and currents, he lost all his gear. But he was so relieved that he made it out he did not care. He knew he was in deep trouble.
Oh man that sucks, I used to yak fish and kept leashes on my rods in case I rolled it.
Rods/reels can get really expensive really quick.

But yeah, gear is replaceable.

Alright Cliff!! Some great fishing, that's for sure. If you want some company next time, just let me know :emoji_wink: I can relate to rescuing folks on the water. Had to do it many times but it's something that MUST be done. No options, even if it means cutting the fishing trip short.

Robert

Kudos on the save and the fish haul. Shoulda got a pic of them hanging up like the fish as a "catch of the day".
Jim

• Haha
Alright Cliff!! Some great fishing, that's for sure. If you want some company next time, just let me know :emoji_wink: I can relate to rescuing folks on the water. Had to do it many times but it's something that MUST be done. No options, even if it means cutting the fishing trip short.

Robert
captain was pissed mostly for the disregard of the conditions and location they launched into. He says several kayakers are lost there every summer. But, he did not hesitate to stop and get them.

captain was pissed mostly for the disregard of the conditions and location they launched into.
I can understand him being pissed. There is no cure for stupid :emoji_laughing: Seems interesting to me that people can't afford to maintain their boats but can easily afford coolers full of beer and bottles of top-shelf booze out on the lake. Then they break down, we have to cancel our plans, then spend a fortune in gas towing them 25 miles back to their marina. Define irony? I also find it interesting that you need a license for almost everything: driving, getting married, owning a dog, building a house, etc...but any know-nothing idiot can just go buy a boat and head out onto the lake to kill a bunch of people. Makes no sense to me....

Robert

I can understand him being pissed. There is no cure for stupid :emoji_laughing: Seems interesting to me that people can't afford to maintain their boats but can easily afford coolers full of beer and bottles of top-shelf booze out on the lake. Then they break down, we have to cancel our plans, then spend a fortune in gas towing them 25 miles back to their marina. Define irony? I also find it interesting that you need a license for almost everything: driving, getting married, owning a dog, building a house, etc...but any know-nothing idiot can just go buy a boat and head out onto the lake to kill a bunch of people. Makes no sense to me....

Robert

I don't know about other states, but Pennsylvania has rules covering everything you mentioned, and many more, including licenses & Permits, safety jackets & flotation cushions, classes attended before getting permits, and booze on the water.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky