Finally got a copy of Jeff's book!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

waterboy12

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 16, 2013
Monroe, NC
If you haven't got a copy for yourself yet, you need to. UPS dropped mine off yesterday and sat down for probably 2 hours skimming through it and I honestly believe it's gonna take my BBQ to the next level! If you don't have a copy get one!

It may be posted somewhere else on here, but I'm wondering why there's such a long wait for Jeff's "Smoking Meat" book on Amazon?  It's been at 1-3 months or longer for a long time!  Is it out of print?  There are a lot of other sellers on Amazon, and my daughter tried to order me a copy for father's day, but she got scammed by the seller who charged her, but did not ship.

Was hoping Jeff might chime in and give details why there's such a delay, or maybe whether it will ever be available in Kindle format?

Thanks!

Sorry for the delay in answering this.. there's a lot of posts on here and I do miss stuff, unfortunately. I just happened to run across this so I will give some details.

Several months ago, we ran out of books and I am being told that the books have been ordered, printed, shipped and are on their way into book warehouses as we speak.

I don't know exactly how the book ordering/tracking system works but it seems to be a little flaky.. just my own honest opinion.

I know it's frustrating for those who are wanting a copy of the books so just hang in there.. the books are definitely on the way.

I do appreciate everyone's patience!

WOW!.  I am impressed that you answer posts about your book personally. 

With that said I think you are the best person to ask my question.

I am a virgin smoker.  I received a vertical smoker with a side firebox  for fathers day.  My question regarding your book is, does your book give low level instructions as how to use a smoker or is it more about the recipes?  I'm sure base on all the buzz your book is receiving here, I will buy it anyway but right now I need instructions as to how to use my smoker.

Your reply will be greatly appreciated.

WOW!.  I am impressed that you answer posts about your book personally.

With that said I think you are the best person to ask my question.

I am a virgin smoker.  I received a vertical smoker with a side firebox  for fathers day.  My question regarding your book is, does your book give low level instructions as how to use a smoker or is it more about the recipes?  I'm sure base on all the buzz your book is receiving here, I will buy it anyway but right now I need instructions as to how to use my smoker.

Your reply will be greatly appreciated.
The key for me as a Virgin smoker was this forum, Jeff's 5 day e-course, and a few YouTube tutorials with my brand of smoker (just to get me started).

I own a copy of Jeff's book, and it is great, but I use it mostly for new recipe ideas and to get the basic times, temps, and woods to use.

What type of smoker do you have?

I had jeffs book on order at Amazon for four months and finally gave up abd canceled the order.. even Barns and noble only had one copy ,and that was in their store on the other side of the state (NJ).

I glad a new shipment is on its way...I have Myron Mixons book and his recopies do work out well.. But reading the book ..he seems like a pom-pas Ass ..

Hi Rob

Can't help you on the book question, as I don't have a copy (yet).  But there are a lot of people here with a ton of experience, and probably some that have the same smoker as you.  Let us know what you have, I'm sure there will be plenty of help and advise flying in! 

WaywardSwede thanks for the reply.  I like this site.  I don't know why I didn't find this soon.

I have a Verticle smoker with a smoke nbox.  here is a link to it.  It's the Dyna-Glo DGO1176BDC-D Charcoal Offset Smoker.

I ordered my copy of Jeff's book today.  It may or maynot be what I need right now.  It just seems like I can't go wrong owning this book no matter what.  With the book along with everyone on this web site, I'm sure I will be smoking very soon.  I think I'll set up a pork belly for curing so I can make bacon next weekend.

Thanks again for the reply.

If you haven't already done so, sign up for his 5 day course (link in the left navigation bar near the top), then sign up for the newsletters.  Read what you can here, and ask questions.  One of the best things about this site is you never get the 'read the manual' kind of responses.

That looks like a nice smoker, have you fired it up yet?

@Pineywood,  thank you so much for the link.  I'm guessing it's exactly what I need.  I hope to be smoking next weekend.  the timing is perfect.  Thanks again.

Thanks Wayward Swede.  I went to the link in your post.  I believe that will help me because I'm sure my smoker will need some mods.

Hello knifebld,

Thanks for the suggestion of Jeff's 5 day course.  It's just what I needed to start.

My smoker is

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BQ59VTO/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I read the reviews on Amazon and it also fit my budget.  Did n't want to spend too much on my first real smoker.  I am making the easiest of the mods.  I am adding a gasket to the doors so less smoke leaks and I am replacing the thermostat on the outside.  Hopefully that will be all I need.

What kind of smoker do you have?

Hello knifebld,

Thanks for the suggestion of Jeff's 5 day course.  It's just what I needed to start.

My smoker is

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BQ59VTO/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I read the reviews on Amazon and it also fit my budget.  Did n't want to spend too much on my first real smoker.  I am making the easiest of the mods.  I am adding a gasket to the doors so less smoke leaks and I am replacing the thermostat on the outside.  Hopefully that will be all I need.

Hey Rob,

Glad to know the 5 day e-course helped you. Looks like that smoker will be able to smoke some good meats! I actually bought a cheap smoker for my brother for Christmas one year, and tried it once, produced an incredible meal, and from there I knew that I would prefer investing a bit more money on mine, so I purchased a Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5''....definately not the most expensive smoker out there, but one that I could keep on using for years and years and even compete with in the future.

Don't forget to post some of your next smokes! Cheers.

Chad,

I finally found a BBQ supply store near me and went there today.  As I was walking out I saw your smoker and thought it was a great size.  I would seriously consider that as my upgrade if I get hooked on smoking.

Thanks again.

Hello knifebld,

My smoker is

That is a pretty cool looking smoker. I have not seen them before. 

If you have a few extra nickles and dimes, I would invest in a digital remote thermometer. It will save you a lot of trips to the smoker, and insure good safe meats to present to family and friends. Its a wonderful learning tool also, well at least till you get both feet on the ground with your smoking. Even when you mess up, you're food will be edible if you use the thermometer & a small amount of common sense. Oh you'll mess up, at the worst time, just know its going to happen and roll with the flow. Everyone had been there, its like a badge of accomplishment. LOL We had Pizza for Thanksgiving one year at the lady friend's family's house...... Kids loved it!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky