Finally A Real Smoker!!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rpphoto

Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
San Fran Bay Area , California
So I Have finally got a real smoker lol...

after years of using a STOK gas grill and off heat charcoal smoking methods, it has happened!

So my birthday was last week, and my wife and mother surprised me with....

its just a 2 shelf 30" nothing special, but its mine lol

did a 2 hour burn with a thing cherry chips to get get rid of any chemicals and aromas that may have been left over from manufacturing...

first run was a set of pork spares

The first thing i noticed even on LOW heat, with the top vent open, the box reads "hot" on the door Thermometer even....anyone ever have this issue? .... anyone have tips or tricks to regulate the heat better so i can hold it around 200 - 225 better....

im getting ready to throw together some fatties this next week... so id like to get the temp thing solved lol

Pretty sure most people put in a needle valve so you can reduce the heat. I'm not an expert on propane smokers but there is lots of info about them on the forum.

More than likely the factory therm is way off. I would get a good dual probe therm like a Maverick.

Then go from there when you know the smoker temp & the meat temp.

On a propane smoker a needle valve is also an option to control the burner.

Al

Congrats on the new rig!

There's a few mods you can do to it like add a few racks for beginners.

A simple needle valve will work to lower your heat. On my GOSM gasser, I switched the entire hose out for one from a turkey fryer. They have that handy little ball valve that allows me to drop that flame down to a trickle.

I second that you need a digital probe type thermo in there and ignore the door thermo..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky