Finally, a day to really try out my new WSM.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thestealth

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 28, 2009
KC Metro, Kansas
I wasn't sure where to put this since I'm cooking 2 equal sized pieces of meat, so general it goes.  We really need just a general "Smoke Day" forum for times like these. 
icon_lol.gif

I've only been able to smoke chicken, pork chops and side dishes.  Finally a weekend to smoke some real meat...even though their small cuts, a 1-4lb boston butt and 1-4lb chuck roast, they should take long enough to get a true feel for the cooker.

The butt is rubbed with a homemade concoction of mine, the roast with a pre-made Montreal Steak seasoning.

013871c3_IMG_0176.jpg

Men...can never leave well enough alone.  My first modification to my new smoker.  An eye-let from a piece of lamp rod to run my probe wires through.  They really should come stock with this.

57d2f00e_IMG_0177.jpg

Thanks Dave.

You are correct.  It's a lamp repair kit available a probably any hardware store.   I just drilled out a rack mounting point from 1/4 to 3/8".  Easy job, took less than 10 minutes. :-)

I happened to have the parts lying around, you know, can't ever throw anything away that might possibly be used in the future.  :-D

My other smoker is an old Brinkmann Smoke'N Pit.  I can say w/o a doubt that my WSM is superior in every way shape or form from my S'nP. :-) 

A buddy of mine has a New Braunfels smoker of similar design to your Smoke King, and the few times I've smoked with him I'll say it's a pretty good unit, so you may not notice as big of difference as I have. 

My other smoker is an old Brinkmann Smoke'N Pit.  I can say w/o a doubt that my WSM is superior in every way shape or form from my S'nP. :-) 

A buddy of mine has a New Braunfels smoker of similar design to your Smoke King, and the few times I've smoked with him I'll say it's a pretty good unit, so you may not notice as big of difference as I have. 
I have done several mods on mine and will do the final one next week when a baffle arrives I have coming from a friend who has a New Braunfels. He did all these to his and I am following his lead. The smoker was "ok" when I got it, but after the mods it really improved performance. I would like a WSM so I can move it around, take it to work, and mostly cause I hear alot of good things about them.

Halftime show...

27a566a9_IMG_0180.jpg

I was able to fit four probes though the eyelet...I will be adding one more because it was a bit tight. 

b94afe9f_IMG_0178.jpg

3/4 (2/3?) time show?  

Both pieces of meat are around 166*, time for some foil.   

ef556409_IMG_0181.jpg

My little helpers.

0a1ef568_IMG_0183.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, the love smoke days...usually get a few tidbits along the way. :-)

Not a very good "finished" picture, but usually I'm more interested in eating food than taking pictures. 

bc684b22_IMG_0184.jpg

2ce53624_IMG_0185.jpg

9f09b6d9_IMG_0186.jpg

Man... those are some great looking results! Nice job on the maiden WSM voyage. I'm glad to see my lamp rod mod is still alive and well... lol. When I came up with that mod I was soooo nervous drilling the ceramic coating the first time... lol. I put two eyelets in the side of mine, one just below the top grate and the other just above the bottom grate, both work really well.

It's a great, cheap and easy modification.  It works wonderfully.  Like I said, the unit should come standard with the eyelets.  I'll be adding another to the opposite side since 4 probe wires was a very tight fit.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky