• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Finally, a day to really try out my new WSM.

thestealth

Meat Mopper
Joined Jul 28, 2009
I wasn't sure where to put this since I'm cooking 2 equal sized pieces of meat, so general it goes.  We really need just a general "Smoke Day" forum for times like these. 

I've only been able to smoke chicken, pork chops and side dishes.  Finally a weekend to smoke some real meat...even though their small cuts, a 1-4lb boston butt and 1-4lb chuck roast, they should take long enough to get a true feel for the cooker.

The butt is rubbed with a homemade concoction of mine, the roast with a pre-made Montreal Steak seasoning.

Men...can never leave well enough alone.  My first modification to my new smoker.  An eye-let from a piece of lamp rod to run my probe wires through.  They really should come stock with this.

nwdave

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 9, 2009
Looking good. 

For other readers, those parts he used in the mod can be readily found in Lowes for sure and probably Home Depot, lighting section, repair items.  Short of being free, this is one of those very economical mods.

thestealth

Meat Mopper
Joined Jul 28, 2009
Thanks Dave.

You are correct.  It's a lamp repair kit available a probably any hardware store.   I just drilled out a rack mounting point from 1/4 to 3/8".  Easy job, took less than 10 minutes. :-)

I happened to have the parts lying around, you know, can't ever throw anything away that might possibly be used in the future.  :-D

porked

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 2, 2009
Anxious to see how your smoke comes out...I am contemplating picking up a WSM.

thestealth

Meat Mopper
Joined Jul 28, 2009
My other smoker is an old Brinkmann Smoke'N Pit.  I can say w/o a doubt that my WSM is superior in every way shape or form from my S'nP. :-) 

A buddy of mine has a New Braunfels smoker of similar design to your Smoke King, and the few times I've smoked with him I'll say it's a pretty good unit, so you may not notice as big of difference as I have. 

porked

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 2, 2009
My other smoker is an old Brinkmann Smoke'N Pit.  I can say w/o a doubt that my WSM is superior in every way shape or form from my S'nP. :-) 

A buddy of mine has a New Braunfels smoker of similar design to your Smoke King, and the few times I've smoked with him I'll say it's a pretty good unit, so you may not notice as big of difference as I have. 
I have done several mods on mine and will do the final one next week when a baffle arrives I have coming from a friend who has a New Braunfels. He did all these to his and I am following his lead. The smoker was "ok" when I got it, but after the mods it really improved performance. I would like a WSM so I can move it around, take it to work, and mostly cause I hear alot of good things about them.

thestealth

Meat Mopper
Joined Jul 28, 2009
Halftime show...

I was able to fit four probes though the eyelet...I will be adding one more because it was a bit tight. 

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
It looks great so far!

thestealth

Meat Mopper
Joined Jul 28, 2009
3/4 (2/3?) time show?  

Both pieces of meat are around 166*, time for some foil.   

My little helpers.

Last edited:

SmokinAl

Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Looks like your helpers are waiting for your BBQ too!

thestealth

Meat Mopper
Joined Jul 28, 2009
Yeah, the love smoke days...usually get a few tidbits along the way. :-)

Not a very good "finished" picture, but usually I'm more interested in eating food than taking pictures. 

jirodriguez

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 5, 2009
Man... those are some great looking results! Nice job on the maiden WSM voyage. I'm glad to see my lamp rod mod is still alive and well... lol. When I came up with that mod I was soooo nervous drilling the ceramic coating the first time... lol. I put two eyelets in the side of mine, one just below the top grate and the other just above the bottom grate, both work really well.

thestealth

Meat Mopper
Joined Jul 28, 2009
It's a great, cheap and easy modification.  It works wonderfully.  Like I said, the unit should come standard with the eyelets.  I'll be adding another to the opposite side since 4 probe wires was a very tight fit.

SmokinAl

Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Looks like they both turned out great! Nice job!!

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.