filing cabinet smoker - finished pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

teacup13

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 22, 2007
Sault Ste Marie,ON
i built this last winter and am still doing some finishing touches on it..

old commodore filing cabinet
2r7wjya.jpg

cut a hole in the top for a smoke stack

the stack - $3 at the Restore Store

installed a smokestack

high temp engine gasket to seal smokestack

indoor grill fits perfectly in bottom drawer this was first heat source but has been updated... see later post

racks installed from an old fridge and an old grill(the drawers are no longer there...see later post)

mvrkv6.jpg

painted and finished

updates
drawers removed and the faces of them converted to doors

converted to propane using a side burner from an old gas grill
30vdtfn.jpg

the whole unit including the side shelf
j6o9ap.jpg

Reactions: dwrek
Wow, nice, what a smoker. Who would of thought from a file cabinet. ready to see some q-view out of that cabinet...

I've seen some interesting things made into smokers but this is quite unique! Really neat build ya did, how do the meats turn out? Hope to see some qvue from this rig, soon!

the meat comes out tasty..lol

28bh5w8.jpg

rhs87o.jpg

e8rbz4.jpg

24fb9j7.jpg

15s78mx.jpg

210iyo9.jpg

-plain habanero's (for a later use)
-ABT's (cream cheese,colby cheese,pepperoni)
-BAT's (burn your ass turds - habs stuffed with cream cheese)
-meatloaf

using cherry/alder wood mix

more pics to follow as cooking continues

jalapeno's & habs deseeded and deveined

fuqueg.jpg

peppers going into ECS

r8f3vk.jpg

2e21r4p.jpg

Very nice, very inovative.
points.gif

That's usin' yer noggin'! Good build, and it looks like it works quite well, too. Nice job, and great lookin' Q-views!

Thanks for sharing your success!

Eric

I thought the idea of a file cabinet smoker was neat. I decided to try it to see what I could turn out. I went looking for the big block yesterday but could not find it locally. Until I can get my big block locally and not settle for anything smaller, I will continue to work on my file cabinet. My hubby thinks I am crazy and the kids just laugh. I have been struggling with the doors to see just how I want them and I have no idea how I am going to cut the hole for the vent pipe. I do not know how to post pics yet, but when I find out I will show you all how I am progressing.

Interesting project, very creative use of a filing cabinet.

i have often thought of the file cabnet smoker but wasn't sure if it was the right metal and whatnot. we threw a few out at work awhile back and i was gonna grab one.next time i will

teacup13----- Are the scissors ( I really don't know what to call them) the only thing you used to cut the top of the file cabinet?

I hope mine will turn out as well as yours did. I am connecting my propane tank to a turkey fryer for my gas.

Thank you so much for this file cabinet idea!!!

Everyone visiting me has been looking at it a little strange, that is probably because I am working on it in the den and they are really trying to figure it out. Most of my guest use offset fireboxes.

Since I am using the turkey fryer for my gas, I was wondering is there some type of connection you can add to it to monitor the gas temperature, to tell if it is low medium or high, other than a thermometer.

the scissors are cheap metal cutters, available cheap at walmart or your local pawn shop. i made my circle and then i punch a hole in the top with a nail i think it was, i might have drilled it to start to hole but i have CRS and cant really remember..lol

for the thermometers, i used one turkey deep fryer thermometer for each rack. drilled a whole in the side of the cabinet just below the racks.

my heat control is just the knob from the side burner of the propane grill. i just had to play with it until i found the temp that i am comfortable with. lots of trial and error

if you need any closer pix taken, let me know. i will take them and post them for you

i personally would take out the drawers and just use the face part of them. attach with self tapping screws,to hinges. for the shelves go to home depot and get some expanded metal and use that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky