filing cabinet smoker - finished pics

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by teacup13, Jun 16, 2009.

1. teacup13

teacup13 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

i built this last winter and am still doing some finishing touches on it..

old commodore filing cabinet
    [​IMG]

cut a hole in the top for a smoke stack

the stack - $3 at the Restore Store

installed a smokestack

high temp engine gasket to seal smokestack

indoor grill fits perfectly in bottom drawer this was first heat source but has been updated... see later post

racks installed from an old fridge and an old grill(the drawers are no longer there...see later post)

[​IMG]

painted and finished

updates
    drawers removed and the faces of them converted to doors

converted to propane using a side burner from an old gas grill
    [​IMG]

the whole unit including the side shelf
    [​IMG]

dwrek likes this.
  2. cajunsmoke13

cajunsmoke13 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Wow, nice, what a smoker. Who would of thought from a file cabinet. ready to see some q-view out of that cabinet...

3. teacup13

4. sumosmoke

sumosmoke Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I've seen some interesting things made into smokers but this is quite unique! Really neat build ya did, how do the meats turn out? Hope to see some qvue from this rig, soon!

5. mco

mco Smoke Blower

Cool build
    [​IMG]

6. teacup13

the meat comes out tasty..lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-plain habanero's (for a later use)
    -ABT's (cream cheese,colby cheese,pepperoni)
    -BAT's (burn your ass turds - habs stuffed with cream cheese)
    -meatloaf

using cherry/alder wood mix

more pics to follow as cooking continues

jalapeno's & habs deseeded and deveined

[​IMG]

peppers going into ECS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. ronp

ronp Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Very nice, very inovative.[​IMG]

8. bigsteve

bigsteve Master of the Pit

You need to label the drawers:
    Beef
    Pork
    Fatty.......

9. waysideranch

waysideranch Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Yep. What RONP said. Hellava build. Crazy cool.

10. forluvofsmoke

forluvofsmoke Smoking Guru OTBS Member

That's usin' yer noggin'! Good build, and it looks like it works quite well, too. Nice job, and great lookin' Q-views!

Thanks for sharing your success!

Eric

11. mco

mco Smoke Blower

12. dexter

dexter Smoke Blower

I thought the idea of a file cabinet smoker was neat. I decided to try it to see what I could turn out. I went looking for the big block yesterday but could not find it locally. Until I can get my big block locally and not settle for anything smaller, I will continue to work on my file cabinet. My hubby thinks I am crazy and the kids just laugh. I have been struggling with the doors to see just how I want them and I have no idea how I am going to cut the hole for the vent pipe. I do not know how to post pics yet, but when I find out I will show you all how I am progressing.

13. carpetride

carpetride Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Interesting project, very creative use of a filing cabinet.

14. davenh

davenh Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Nice job! Very interesting build [​IMG]

15. smokeamotive

smokeamotive Smoking Fanatic

Gotta give you points for that one. Seen smokers made out of alot of different things , but thats a new one. Good job. [​IMG]

16. taterdavid

taterdavid Smoke Blower

i have often thought of the file cabnet smoker but wasn't sure if it was the right metal and whatnot. we threw a few out at work awhile back and i was gonna grab one.next time i will

17. dexter

dexter Smoke Blower

teacup13----- Are the scissors ( I really don't know what to call them) the only thing you used to cut the top of the file cabinet?

I hope mine will turn out as well as yours did. I am connecting my propane tank to a turkey fryer for my gas.

Thank you so much for this file cabinet idea!!!

Everyone visiting me has been looking at it a little strange, that is probably because I am working on it in the den and they are really trying to figure it out. Most of my guest use offset fireboxes.

Since I am using the turkey fryer for my gas, I was wondering is there some type of connection you can add to it to monitor the gas temperature, to tell if it is low medium or high, other than a thermometer.

18. teacup13

the scissors are cheap metal cutters, available cheap at walmart or your local pawn shop. i made my circle and then i punch a hole in the top with a nail i think it was, i might have drilled it to start to hole but i have CRS and cant really remember..lol

for the thermometers, i used one turkey deep fryer thermometer for each rack. drilled a whole in the side of the cabinet just below the racks.

my heat control is just the knob from the side burner of the propane grill. i just had to play with it until i found the temp that i am comfortable with. lots of trial and error

if you need any closer pix taken, let me know. i will take them and post them for you

19. teacup13

i personally would take out the drawers and just use the face part of them. attach with self tapping screws,to hinges. for the shelves go to home depot and get some expanded metal and use that.

20. olecrosseyes

olecrosseyes Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

Now this is where a "Fire proof file cabinet" would work wonders for a start!
    Dang I just sold one about 6 months ago!