Fiery Asian Pork And Veggies (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The basics are simple and you either got lucky or figured it out.
I think I'm starting to get a handle on it by doing things differently: my way. Being that I had little experience with this style of cooking, I always tried to follow somebody else's recipe. Finally gave up on that concept and started doing things the way I wanted it to taste and suddenly we were enjoying some really good Asian food.
All the good takeout joints are all long gone here and all we have is mall food court level places so I am learning to make my own.
Ain't that the truth!! We have a little place here that does a pretty decent job but it's inconsistent. There is never anybody in there so it's either surviving on take-out or it's a front for the Lago Vista Chinese mafia :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Reactions: zwiller
Great looking meal! My mom had a wok when I was growing up. Dont ever remember her making anything like that though lol. Mostly just used it to steam veggies. Been kicking around the idea of getting one for myself.

How did I miss this thread?
Great meal and I don't like overcooked veggies either.
Have you tried coconut aminos in place of soy sauce? Much less sodium and pretty equal in the unami factor.

Sesame oil should be used as a finishing oil, added right before the last tosses to preserve it's flavor. It's not typically a cooking oil.
Virgin sesame oil is a great cooking oil and very common in SE Asian cuisine. I use it in most of my Thai inspired dishes.
Toasted sesame oil is a different product entirely and mostly for flavor to season. I love a simple rice bowl with a splash of toasted sesame oil.

How did I miss this thread?
Great meal and I don't like overcooked veggies either.
Have you tried coconut aminos in place of soy sauce? Much less sodium and pretty equal in the unami factor.

Virgin sesame oil is a great cooking oil and very common in SE Asian cuisine. I use it in most of my Thai inspired dishes.
Toasted sesame oil is a different product entirely and mostly for flavor to season. I love a simple rice bowl with a splash of toasted sesame oil.
My wife avoids soy and coco aminos is our go to. I second the coco aminos. It is sweeter though, more similar to teriyaki. Not bad, just have to keep it in mind. We also recently tried pomegranate molasses. Also sweet, but fills a similar niche in sauces.

I didn't know there was virgin sesame oil. Thanks for the info!

Nice looking dish Robert. My only venture into asian cooking was general tso a few years back. It tasted really good but to much work and clean up for me to repeat.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky