fermented hot peppers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

udaman

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 31, 2015
southwestern ontario
just picked all my hot peppers and
put them in a brine to ferment
never done this before hope
it works out, different peppers
reppers ghost , chillies and some other
ones,,going to let them ferment for a few weeks..

Attachments

• IMG_0326.JPG
    IMG_0326.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 50
Reactions: S-met
Ah looks good, but not sure about wire holding them down, looks like galvanized which will leach into brine, because of acid in brine..might taint the batch...maybe someone else will pooh, pooh me....hope i am wrong or you can chabge it with something else soon.

I agree with kit s put a plate with a bag of brine on top of the peppers.Next thing would be stock up on ice cream
Richie

Move the peppers to a sanitized glass jar and get the peppers below the waterline. Next screw on a sanitized lid with an air lock in it and set the peppers in an out of the way place at room temperature. Then go about you life for 12 or 13 months. Come back next year and seperate the peppers from the liquid. Grind the peppers into a puree. Add in vinegar (start at 25% the puree or more to taste) if you want it thinner add in a little of the brine liquid. Bottle and enjoy you fermented hot sauce.

I have a quart of pepper mash that been on the counter for about the last 60 weeks waiting from me to have time and initiative to make hot sauce.

Also until you get an air lock you can burp the jar every day. The risk doin this is opening the jar to let out CO2 also can let omni present non-beneficial molds in. The air lock is a simple water trap that lets gas out but air cannot back flow in.

Good info their you can get air locks at any place that sells beer and wine making supplies
Richie

the wire is chromed i've used several times before to
hold the veg below the water line. ( it is for perserving canning jars) , also i will be sealing
this up and adding a air lock. thx for the advise.
i'll keep u posted with my progress

Attachments

• IMG_0327.JPG
    IMG_0327.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 28
Consider these items:
E-Jen Premium Kimchi, Sauerkraut... 6-Pack Easy Fermentation Glass... Maintenance free silicone airlock...

Attachments

• 20191017_182932.jpg
    20191017_182932.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 22
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky