Fermented Hatch Chilis

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
I guess this can go here.

What you need.
Fido jar 1 or 2 qt. You can also use mason jars or fermenting tops. If you use mason jars you will need to burp the jar.
Knife and cutting board

1-2 pounds of hatch chilis (you can use japs, serrano and such)
Distilled water
Fine grain sea salt or pure himalayan salt
peeled garlic or onions or whatever you would like to put in the jar.
fh0.jpg

Easy ferment.
2 qts of water
3 T salt
and your choice of extras.
Dissolve the salt in the water.
fh4.jpg

Rinse and slice the peppers, you can take the seeds out if you like. Peel the garlic and add to bottom of jar.
fh1.jpg

fh.jpg

Pack the peppers until you reach the elbow of the jar.
fh3.jpg

Pour in salt water. Leave about 1" headspace.
Lock or seal lid and place in a dark area for 3-5 days. You will notice fermentation bubbles. Once fermented they will stay in fridge for several months.
fh5.jpg

OK, what does a fermented chile taste like?
How do you use them?
We make pickled jalapeño chilies and then chop them up to use in dips and maybe a fatty or eat them right out of the jar.
The hatch chilies we roast, peel, and then freeze whole to use during the winter when we need some "heat"in our food.

Reactions: Will Squared
They look great Rick!
Does the fermenting take some of the heat away, cause those things just burn a hole in my tongue!
Al
Al

I got the mild hatch, this is my 1st rodeo on fermenting chilis. They are supposed to start to fizz around day 2-3.

Reactions: Will Squared
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky