Feeding deer in Pennsylvania???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinq13

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 21, 2017
south central Pennsylvania
So game commission came by the other day( nothing with me or anyone in the family) but they did see that we had a deer feeder. The type that you set to throw corn or whatever whenever you want it too. They said we can not have it, and actually could fine us for it. They said like 3 years ago they made a law about it becuase of cwd going on. I didn't argue but i did a little research and didnt find a single thing about not being able to feed deer. This isnt 'baiting" deer, we did not hunt on the property that has the feeders, they're there for just attracting them to watch.

So what all do you guys know/ have heard? Its kinda irritating we can't do that but yet we can literally plant a a feild and hunt out of it but no feeder.

I think the congregation of deer in a confined space is their big worry of spreading disease. I live by a Reservoir managed by Corp Of Engineers. They had a feeder and no longer fill it either. Liked walking out and watching the deer.

Reactions: chopsaw
If u have the feeder in a DMA area it’s illegal to feed or use minerals for them. What Winterrider said is the reason for it. We had to take ours down 6 years ago. Sure do miss watching the deer & turkey. Every now & then a bear.

Reactions: smokinq13
I'm not in PA , but have attended several " herd management " classes in Missouri . The rules are pretty much the same state to state for things like this .
As said already , it's attracting deer to the same spot , with the idea that sick individuals will infect the healthy . Where as a natural food source may never bring the numbers together .
Free choice feeders are the worst ones , and the broadcasting of feed corn should be limited when allowed .

Last edited:
Reactions: Winterrider
Feeding deer is illegal in several counties north of me, and also where I live but no one is even aware of it lot of people leave some food for deer including me it's just two or three deer every few days taking a bite of oats.

People the member who started this thread did not ask your opinion of feeding deer or your thoughts on a game wardens job and what they can and can't do so stop those type posts and keep on the subject of the post

So game commission came by the other day( nothing with me or anyone in the family) but they did see that we had a deer feeder. The type that you set to throw corn or whatever whenever you want it too. They said we can not have it, and actually could fine us for it. They said like 3 years ago they made a law about it becuase of cwd going on. I didn't argue but i did a little research and didnt find a single thing about not being able to feed deer. This isnt 'baiting" deer, we did not hunt on the property that has the feeders, they're there for just attracting them to watch.

So what all do you guys know/ have heard? Its kinda irritating we can't do that but yet we can literally plant a a feild and hunt out of it but no feeder.

I'm gonna try to do what Piney just said:
I've lived & hunted in PA for 72 years now, and we have never tried to feed the deer, partly because they say you aren't allowed to, and partly because it's not supposed to be good for the deer. They say if you feed them Hay in the Winter, they will bloat up, and get sick. Wardens say it just isn't a good idea.
I got an old lady living across the road from me, who feeds the deer, and she goes out & shakes a Bag of corn, and the deer run from my woods, where they sleep to her house for corn, crossing the road, and deer don't always look both ways before crossing. I never looked for an actual law, because I know quite a few Game protectors in PA from Bucks, Lehigh, Pike, and Wayne County, and they all say not to feed deer. Salt lick is OK, as far as I know, as long as you don't hunt over them.
But I could be wrong about that, if new laws have been made due to CWD problems.

Bear

From my brief internet search, it appears feeding deer is not currently illegal in PA, but I am unfamiliar with the PGC and how to navigate their information. Following are a couple quotes from the linked web page. One would think if anything had happened since all the meetings in 2019, it would be published on this page, but again, I am not familiar with them or how they disseminate information. It is very clear they have concerns about feeding deer and do not want it done.

“There is broad support from the Advisory Committee to extend the current regulations prohibiting feeding of bear and elk to include deer and turkey. There was little support from the Advisory Committee members to ban the feeding of all wildlife, primarily because of the wide use of bird feeders. Expanding the feeding ban to include all big game would address some of the concerns related to wildlife feeding, while allowing for limited feeding of birds.”

(Proposed language)
137.33 Feeding of certain wildlife prohibited.

It is unlawful to intentionally lay or place food, fruit, hay, grain, chemical, salt or other minerals anywhere in this Commonwealth for the purpose of feeding big game to include Elk, Deer, Bear and Turkey, or to intentionally lay or place food, fruit, hay, grain, chemical, salt or other minerals that may cause big game to congregate or habituate an area. If otherwise lawful feeding is attracting big game, the Commission may provide written notice prohibiting the activity.”

https://www.pgc.pa.gov/Wildlife/Wildlife-RelatedDiseases/Pages/Please-Don't-Feed.aspx

EDIT:
Feeding deer is prohibited in some areas.

”Within DMAs, rehabilitation of cervids (deer, elk and moose); the use or possession of cervid urine-based attractants in an outdoor setting; the removal of high-risk cervid parts; and the feeding of wild, free-ranging cervids are prohibited.”

Last edited:
I understand how feeding stations can spread CWD. And having Farm Animals like Chickens and Ducks, I do NOT want to attract a Bear. We've had a Bear break into the Chicken run to steal a full Feeder. We have removed the food every evening since the breakin 2 years ago. The only, non-intentional feeding of Deer, is a few, usually a Doe and Twins, will come off the mountain to clean up fallen Apples from an old tree in or front yard. There may be more gathering after Dark, but the Dogs Barking runs them off PDQ!
It is interesting info. I'm now quite surprised that there are so many TV and Mail Order Catalogs from Cabela's, Bass Pro and others, putting Deer Feeders and Salt Licks, On Sale in the Fall. I didnt know they were Illegal in PA and in other States. SOME STATES must allow them since they are so widely available...JJ

I understand how feeding stations can spread CWD. And having Farm Animals like Chickens and Ducks, I do NOT want to attract a Bear. We've had a Bear break into the Chicken run to steal a full Feeder. We have removed the food every evening since the breakin 2 years ago. The only, non-intentional feeding of Deer, is a few, usually a Doe and Twins, will come off the mountain to clean up fallen Apples from an old tree in or front yard. There may be more gathering after Dark, but the Dogs Barking runs them off PDQ!
It is interesting info. I'm now quite surprised that there are so many TV and Mail Order Catalogs from Cabela's, Bass Pro and others, putting Deer Feeders and Salt Licks, On Sale in the Fall. I didnt know they were Illegal in PA and in other States. SOME STATES must allow them since they are so widely available...JJ

I don't want to side track this thread again but will say they are indeed legal in some states. That's as far as I'm gonna go in this thread if you somebody wants to discuss more feel free to PM me.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky