Favorite beer while smoking and/or eating BBQ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yuengling is made like 2.5 hours from me. It's alright.. I drink it when I'm feeling cheap as it's usually like $2.50 a pint during a happy hour. Premium is coal country beer 100% and gross! Their porter is pretty good. It is cool that they are a very old long lasting brewery as very many from that time are only in history books. Troegs brewing is about 30 mins from me and they make excellent beers, although they have gravitated toward mostly IPAs now days.

Yuengling is made like 2.5 hours from me. It's alright.. I drink it when I'm feeling cheap as it's usually like $2.50 a pint during a happy hour. Premium is coal country beer 100% and gross! Their porter is pretty good. It is cool that they are a very old long lasting brewery as very many from that time are only in history books. Troegs brewing is about 30 mins from me and they make excellent beers, although they have gravitated toward mostly IPAs now days.

my wife and i are ex military and my buddies are also. my one friend is from PA and he is the one who introduced me to Yuengling beer. he went home and came back with about five cases! So now when i go east of the Mississippi river i look for it and Thats about all i will drink when i am out that way. I guess since we can't get it's like a treat for us.

Oklahoma just changes the alcohol law to sell "high" point beer instead of just the 3.2 % so hopefully we will get more options.

Sounds like your state legislator is run by Mennonites kinda like PA. We have of recent now been able to buy beer at the grocery stores. I like Maine, you can go to the grocery store or walmart and buy beer, wine or liquor, no stopping at a special store to buy those items.

IPA and IPA only! Well... almost - sometimes seasonal ale's or lager's.... Double IPA, Imperial IPA - starting ALC 7.2 and up to 11.5. Usually I have first beer before starting to smoke and having two (maybe three) more during the smoke. So much pleasure.....

Reactions: misisipismoke
IPA and IPA only! Well... almost - sometimes seasonal ale's or lager's.... Double IPA, Imperial IPA - starting ALC 7.2 and up to 11.5. Usually I have first beer before starting to smoke and having two (maybe three) more during the smoke. So much pleasure.....
I love the Pale's and IPA's. Although I like many of the high ABV IPA's ( I've had 21%), I usually keep it around 6.5-7.5.

(almost) sorry to say, I'm a super snob on this particular topic. I actually am much more versed in it than smoking.. (sorry)

Just went to a Short's Brewing "Tap Takeover" this last weekend. Twas good, not epic, but, 250.00 on a bar tab well spent :confused:

20180922_161539.jpg

Founders is from my state. I can't get down with the centennial hops flavor.

Shorts is another from Michigan, I like their huma luma liscious much better :-)

Founders is from my state. I can't get down with the centennial hops flavor.

I've never had a session IPA I really liked. But the Founders Centennial IPA isn't too bad. So I'm thinking it's not so much the hops, but the lack of malt to balance it. Session IPA's are low alcohol, which means less fermentable sugars. That would mean less malted grain.

Yes, but two hearted is almost like Budweiser here :-)

Don't get me wrong, I was def at hopslam day at the eccentric as I am every year. Nothing against bells at all. They've got a killer brewery in the same town called "one well" that just crushes it.

20180906_185120.jpg

Notice the kegs and cans of slam in the cooler still :-)

Love the Hopslam! But it sure is pricey. I've been drinking a lot of the BrewDog Elvis Juice and Three Floyd's Alpha King.
Zombie Dust when I can get it.

Reactions: fivetricks
The Hopslam was good, but my palate has been ruined by all the New England's over the last year. So the Hopslam tasted super malty this year.

So next year I will be cutting my Hopslam order in half. That's $250 extra in my pocket anyways. I always thought Hopslam was super expensive until I've seen some of the releases this year. Just unreal
20180919_193823.jpg

This one was okay at best.

My top 3 this year were 2 sours and a Tap Room only release from Old Nation.

the Old Nation one was a strawberry version of their supremely popular m-43 New England IPA. It was out of this world. I got that back in early May the other two are as follows.

CherryJane_12oz_Custom195x519_062818_00_JPF.png

And my personal number one :

20180729_210706.jpg

This one was so sour it was damn near vinegar. Perfection in the sour category in my humble opinion

I actually just forgot about an Alaskan smoked Porter that I got at a bar the same day that I got the strawberry M43. I ordered the smoked Porter and they brought me out a 13 year old bottle, much to my delight. It was exquisite.

so fit that into my top three somewhere for sure. I'm actually aging several bottles of it in my cellar right now hoping to get that same experience once again

Reactions: BuckeyeSteve
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky