Fatties and blowouts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 28, 2018
Green Bay, WI
I was reading up on how to make fatties as they look wonderful and want to give them a try myself.

I learned from my research that a blowout making or cooking the fattie is a bad thing.

I started wondering what if anything could be done to reduce blowouts other than line the inside of the fattie with meat sheets.

I then started thinking about using rice paper to line the inside of the fattie to prevent a blowout.

Any thought on this?

Thanks,

JC :emoji_cat:

That might work quite well.
I think Nuri might even be a better choice.
I think it's a lot stronger, and would just about disappear after cooking!
I think I will give that a try next fattie I make, cause I always overstuff them!
Just can't help myself!
Al

Reactions: JC in GB
JC, what were you planning on stuffing the fatty with?

Chris

I was planning on making a sausage fattie with a duxelle and cheese filling. Maybe some pepperoni or Genoa salami....

Al if you do try it, let me know how it works. I thought about the nori sheet as well but that may not work well with all flavor profiles. The nori sheet would be stronger for sure and mostly dissolve during the cook like rice paper would.

I was planning on making a sausage fattie with a duxelle and cheese filling. Maybe some pepperoni or Genoa salami....

I would think using the pepperoni and/or salami as a first layer should be fine. I like to use sandwich pepperoni instead of the pizza topping pepperoni because of the larger diameter. Make sure you have it sliced thin. A couple-three thin layers are easier to work with then one thick layer. I would also put your cheese and duxelle in the upper half of the fatty so it gets rolled first and has room to slide.

Chris

Thanks for the advice. I am going to put the ingredients together for one of these bad boys. :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky