Fattie question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

griz400

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Mar 27, 2016
We will be making a fattie tomorrow and have read about bacon turning out rubbery, and some say sorta precook bacon, and was wondering,if you could possibly grill it on a charcoal grill for a few minutes a side, rolling it around a little, then put it on the smoker, cause we are lighting both smoker and charcoal grill up both tomorrow.  i have never made a fattie before ... should be fun .. going to make a fajita fattie. should internal be around 160 ???

I usually do them on Charcoal, But have been doing them on a Pit boss pellet pooper, It crisps up the bacon nicely, I have pulled them und threw it under the broiler for a few min. to  finish them...

Guess i will put it on the smoker, and see what happens, if it needs finished, i will put it on the charcoal grill to crisp up the bacon, THANKS all for some tips ................

Use the thinnest bacon you can find & don't do a bacon weave.

Just wrap the bacon around the fattie so there is only one layer of bacon.

When you do the weave there is two layers of bacon & the inside layer never gets crispy.

It will crisp up nicely with just one layer.

Not as pretty though.

Al

We just wrapped it all up, sorry al, good tip for next time maybe, I seemed to over stuff it i think ....we seasoned hamburger with fajita seasoning, sauteed peppers, onions, mushrooms and jalapenos with fajita seasoning, used pepper jack cheese and also cheddar ....

here is progress so far 

It was fun so far .... tell me what you think ... We will fire up smoker later, making alot of things today as well ...

If it starts leak, do you lay it on foil later ???

1 Hr in , looks ok i guess, wings and brats done, it's lunch time now ...

I moved the beans under the fattie, bacon flavor dripping good, seems to be browning already, only 1 hr in ....

We are actually   close i guess, my alarms on thermometers are all going off, what kind of temp are we looking at on the fattie ???  here are some pics 2 hrs in now ''' had a constant smoker temp of 240 for 2 hrs   here is a look 

ribs I am gonna do 3, 2, and let em rest

Last edited:
looking good... a good thirty minutes at least .. let all the cheese and everything firm back up some from being melted... doesn't oooze out when cutting ...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky