Fattie Cook Time

Discussion in 'Fatties' started by yankeejoe061472, Sep 1, 2011.

1. I'm going to make a fattie tomorrow in my MES 30". What temp do I want to cook to on this fattie? It will be ground chicken/turkey with a buffalo style sauce and innards. I took tomorrow off to start a long weekend of smoking!

2. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

160 degrees internal temp. Put the probe in the very middle in the filling.

3. Thanks, Al. I'm also curious at what temp should I smoke this fattie and about how long does it take to smoke? Ball park figures are fine, I just want to have this baby ready for dinner tonight. Thanks!

4. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

At 225 it will probably take 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

I usually smoke them until the bacon looks crispy then check the IT with a probe.

They are very forgiving & if the bacon is crispy the fattie is probably done.

You really can't overcook them, just make sure the inside is up to temp to be safe.

5. Thanks, Al!

6. dave from mesa

dave from mesa Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

+1 to SmokinAl

I cook mine till the bacon is crispy. Inside has always been done. I did mine today at 230 for 2 1/2 hrs. Just too lazy to set the temp to 225.

7. billyj571

billyj571 Smoking Fanatic

At 225 it will probably take 2 to 2 1/2 hours.in side temp 160