1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Father's Day Plans?

Discussion in 'Blowing Smoke Around the Smoker.' started by RiversideSm0ker, Jun 7, 2018.

1. TomKnollRFV

TomKnollRFV Smoking Fanatic

I would have never even thought of that as a beer can burger filling ...you better post some pictures so I can be a copy cat some day ;)

2. WaterinHoleBrew

WaterinHoleBrew Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

3. TomKnollRFV

TomKnollRFV Smoking Fanatic

4. bdskelly

bdskelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Dear old Dad passed away a number of years ago.
    A master chef on a Kettle.
    Fly boy in the African Theater.
    Hard working and kind man.
    He enjoyed food people and a cocktail.
    I won’t be home for Father’s Day. I’m taking customers fishing in Alaska.

5. noboundaries

noboundaries Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

My Pop just passed in what will be 4 weeks to the day from this Father's Day. Great guy. Tons of friends. A career salesman with a mouth that never stopped telling stories.

He absolutely HATED chicken fixed any way, shape, or form, all because of the Navy. He served during the Korean War. According to him, as a Navy enlisted man on aircraft carriers, they'd eat in shifts and the food was served in a trough! He grew up on a farm eating roasted, fried, and pit-Q'd chicken. The colorless, boiled Navy chicken just made him want to gag and ruined him on chicken until the day he passed.

So, no chicken for Father's Day. I'm already eating the tri tips I had originally planned. Pop loved spare ribs, so that's what's now on the menu for this weekend.

6. phatbac

phatbac Master of the Pit

I'm in a real conundrum. this year fathers day falls on my wedding anniversary date. so i need to do something for my Dad and my Wife! I gotta figure something out soon!

Happy Father's Day,
    phatbac (Aaron)

7. Bearcarver

Bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Happy Anniversary Aaron!!
    Hmmm, Similarly---The 17th of June (Father's Day) is also my Sister's 52nd wedding Anniversary, and Bear Jr's 12th wedding Anniversary. I think Bear Jr is taking his Wife out to Dinner on Saturday, so we can have a Father's Day Dinner at his house for the Old Bear on Sunday.

Bear

8. phatbac

phatbac Master of the Pit

thank you Bear! its my 12th as well! We haven't decided what to do yet, but we are thinking putting off our celebrations for a few weeks (due to life) then going to Myrtle Beach!

Happy Smoking,
    phatbac (Aaron)

9. Well I asked my Dad what he would like to do for Father's Day and he opted for breakfast out. He loves breakfast at a good restaurant. It was how we started many a Sunday as I was growing up. So I am going to take him to my favorite breakfast joint, Corky's Bakery. They have monster breakfast and he loves that kind of thing. So after I get back then I will put some ribs and chicken wings on the smoker for later in the evening so that my wife and I can share some special time. I hope that everybody who wants to celebrate gets the opportunity. Have a great day all.

George

10. browneyesvictim

browneyesvictim Master of the Pit ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Dads passed, as well as mom and all other elders of the family for that matter. The kids are off and away doing their own thing so no love there. The Mrs. does a nice job of filling in, but our wedding anniversary coincides as well so...

Ill have some ribs on the new kettle, and probably some wings. I think I will try some new rubs and sauces.

11. idahopz

idahopz Smoking Fanatic

I was considering a wood fired pizza party for a few friends, but it looks like rain. If that happens, I'll smoke a bunch of cheese (8 Bradley racks) to try out the new Vacmaster Pro380 my wife ordered for me (I've wanted to replace my Foodsaver for several years now). She got it for $150 discount. :)

12. mcokevin

mcokevin Fire Starter SMF Premier Member

My dad lives 1,000 miles away and my wife just gave birth to our second child two weeks ago. Fortunately my folks were down visiting when our son was born so I got to spend time with dad then. And my wife's folks are taking my daughter on a long weekend trip to take her off our hands.

So, firstly I am sleeping! Secondly, enjoying some quiet at the house; and thirdly, may head to a local butcher and splurge on a couple of really good steaks to throw on the grill. The wife hasn't been able to eat a good medium rare steak in nine months due to the pregnancy, so may be a good time to do that.

13. Congrats to you and your wife on your new baby. Sounds to me like you have the best Father's Day situation that you could ever hope for. Enjoy that time and enjoy those steaks.

George

14. Bearcarver

Bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Congrats!!
    Get some Rest & A Great Steak!!

Bear

15. texomakid

texomakid Fire Starter

Love reading about all your dads past and present.

I too am just lurking looking for ideas of what to cook this weekend. I come from a dad and granddad that could fix or repair anything (and I mean anything!) Loved 'em both. Dad has been gone for almost 2 years and Papaw for about 8 years. I do miss them a lot. I'm gonna keep this weekend upbeat as they would have. Life does go on and life is short so have fun people.

Kind of like that Maury show "YOU ARE THE FATHER!" So that's me and I'll smoke what sounds good to me! :) Now I just have to decide................

I'm not beyond stealing someone else's idea so keep posting what you plan to cook and keep you dad stories coming.

16. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Master of the Pit Group Lead SMF Premier Member

Texomakid Thanks for the like it is greatly appreciated.

Warren

17. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Master of the Pit Group Lead SMF Premier Member

Texomakid Thanks for the like it is greatly appreciated.

Warren

18. mcokevin

mcokevin Fire Starter SMF Premier Member

Thanks Bear and Riverside. Hopefully a great weekend for you gentlemen as well!

19. bdskelly

bdskelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Love dem babies. I’ve told my middle son that one granddaughter from him isn’t enough and he needs to get back to work! Congratulations on the little one. Trust me. They grow up tooooooo fast. Dad always told me that but never knew what he meant till I was old. That boy will be helping around the pit before you know it! B

20. GATOR240

GATOR240 Meat Mopper

I know what you mean. My dad always said "The older you get, the quicker the time goes." Like you, I didn't understand it then.... unfortunately, I now have that down cold. :(:(

My family and my mom and dad are going out to breakfast at one of our favorite places for Fathers day.