• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Fat up or fat down

patinlouisiana

Meat Mopper
Joined Jun 21, 2019
When smoking a brisket in the MES do you put the fat side towards the heat source or away from it?

MJB05615

Smoking Fanatic
Joined May 12, 2018
I have done it both ways and found very little differences in the finished product. Some start fat side up, and flip it after 4-5 hours. I generally do fat side up if it doesn't have a very thick fat cap.
Once IT hits 170 I wrap in Pink Butcher Paper until it is done.

Mike

mike243

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 25, 2018
I been known to trim heavy and stack the trimmed fat on a rack above the brisket to drip down on it while smoke is getting to the meat, the fat side down works well for pits that run hot on the bottom , helps to keep from drying or burning so bad, I think my mes cooks really even with no worry about the bottom burning.

normanaj

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 2, 2014
I've done both in the MES and have noticed no difference.

slapaho_injun

Smoke Blower
Joined Feb 24, 2018
I put fat side down and wrap in double foil at 165, finish to 200 degrees. Set for an hour to rest and then pull. Vacuum seal in one pound packages and freeze.

patinlouisiana

Meat Mopper
Joined Jun 21, 2019
I put fat side down and wrap in double foil at 165, finish to 200 degrees. Set for an hour to rest and then pull. Vacuum seal in one pound packages and freeze.
Never pulled brisket before but sound like a good way to go since there are only three of us here.
Which end do you think pulls the best?

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.