Fat up or fat down

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have done it both ways and found very little differences in the finished product. Some start fat side up, and flip it after 4-5 hours. I generally do fat side up if it doesn't have a very thick fat cap.
Once IT hits 170 I wrap in Pink Butcher Paper until it is done.

Mike

I been known to trim heavy and stack the trimmed fat on a rack above the brisket to drip down on it while smoke is getting to the meat, the fat side down works well for pits that run hot on the bottom , helps to keep from drying or burning so bad, I think my mes cooks really even with no worry about the bottom burning.

Reactions: MJB05615
I put fat side down and wrap in double foil at 165, finish to 200 degrees. Set for an hour to rest and then pull. Vacuum seal in one pound packages and freeze.

I put fat side down and wrap in double foil at 165, finish to 200 degrees. Set for an hour to rest and then pull. Vacuum seal in one pound packages and freeze.
Never pulled brisket before but sound like a good way to go since there are only three of us here.
Which end do you think pulls the best?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky