Fat Kielbasa

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokyMose

Smoking Guru
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 13, 2015
Indianapolis, Indiana
Good evening!
I haven't posted a "cook" for a while so I thought I'd do a sausage thing.
Last month I ordered casings from Syracuse Casing who I've been using for years.
I ordered 32mm to 34mm and they sent me this:
casings.jpg
OK, what's a mm or two. 100yds was only $34. Free shipping!!
It was time for Kielbasa. I used my regular recipe (lower sodium) and tried some Liquid Smoke in the mix.
I haven't actually measured the links, but these things are huge.
stuffed.jpg ring.jpg
I let them dry on a rack for a couple of hours (which is why I use a cure even for fresh sausage) and moved to the fridge for the night. Too wet to cook tonight.
hanging.jpg in the fridge.jpg
I'll update the post tomorrow after I cook a couple, probably with fried potatoes.
I guess my main issue is that I didn't get what I ordered. I don't mind fat sausages but I like a smaller one on a bun.
I may check Walton's for some smaller ones....
See you tomorrow!

Dan

Attachments

• in the fridge.jpg
    in the fridge.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 10
  • hanging.jpg
    hanging.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 9
Fantastic Dan . I'm with you on the size . Get you some sub rolls . Cook the sausage as you would , then rip them down the middle of the length and put both halves on the roll .
I use a cure even for fresh sausage
I do the same . Adds to it in my opinion . Makes a great grilled sausage .
Nice work bud .

SmokyMose SmokyMose great looking sausages.
Here is a recent casing price comparison I did last week. I ended up ordering from ButchersPantry, they showed up in 2 days from MN to Phoenix, all good sized and very nice tubed. Bit cheaper than Syracuse even with free shipping accounted.

They shouldnt have sent you those. $34 and its not what you wanted. Could have been a mistake. Maybe they were out of stock and just wanted to make the sale. Now your not completley happy with the outcome even if it is a minor issue... IMO They need to make it right. Maybe i'm just cranky this morning........

My 2 cents

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Fantastic Dan . I'm with you on the size . Get you some sub rolls . Cook the sausage as you would , then rip them down the middle of the length and put both halves on the roll .

I do the same . Adds to it in my opinion . Makes a great grilled sausage .
Nice work bud .
Thanks, Rich!
The Mrs. likes it cut up and fried with sliced potatoes. I like them grilled.
I'll probably do both. It's going to be a perfect day to cook outside.
I think the cure adds something, too, and I can figure it in the salt % and feel comfortable letting it hang for 2 or 3 hours.

Reactions: chopsaw
Dan , just beautiful , following .
This has been on my list and one of the reasons I joined. Just can't seem to make the leap yet.
Just received my book of the Marianski brothers. Big read , just started.

David
Thanks, David!
Which book did you get? There are several shown on the website.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Good evening!
I haven't posted a "cook" for a while so I thought I'd do a sausage thing.
Last month I ordered casings from Syracuse Casing who I've been using for years.
I ordered 32mm to 34mm and they sent me this:
View attachment 646547
OK, what's a mm or two. 100yds was only $34. Free shipping!!
It was time for Kielbasa. I used my regular recipe (lower sodium) and tried some Liquid Smoke in the mix.
I haven't actually measured the links, but these things are huge.
View attachment 646548 View attachment 646549
I let them dry on a rack for a couple of hours (which is why I use a cure even for fresh sausage) and moved to the fridge for the night. Too wet to cook tonight.
View attachment 646553 View attachment 646554
I'll update the post tomorrow after I cook a couple, probably with fried potatoes.
I guess my main issue is that I didn't get what I ordered. I don't mind fat sausages but I like a smaller one on a bun.
I may check Walton's for some smaller ones....
See you tomorrow!

Dan
Beautiful sausages...I'm looking at your rack, is it possibly a clothes drying rack repurposed?

Beautiful sausages...I'm looking at your rack, is it possibly a clothes drying rack repurposed?
That's exactly what it is. I can't remember whether I got it at Target or Meijer.
The one I used for about 5 years was bigger and made of wood and one day just fell apart.
This one is less than half the size, folds up smaller and is made of metal and much easier to clean.
Thank you for the compliment!

Reactions: halleoneagain
Well I was gonna tell you to get a fat piece of bread but chopsaw chopsaw has you covered there! Loved the title by the way! Looks delicious, anyway you cook them.

Ryan

Reactions: SmokyMose
OK, It's a done deal.
Went with the KUDU because of the giant CI pan.
I cooked one link just for me and did a pan of taters, onions and cut up sausage for the Mrs. (and me).
starting.jpg done.jpg
single.jpg on a bun.jpg
I thought the taters looked burnt but they weren't. (She wanted them "crispy")
The sausages seemed to shrink up a bit while cooking and a link fit perfectly in a sausage bun with Swiss Cheese and mustard.
I tried a tsp of liquid smoke in the mix and didn't notice it. Next time I'll bump it up but the rest of the recipe will stand.
Thanks to everyone for comments and likes!
Stuff On!
Dan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky