Fat Cap removed and placed above fire

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Millberry

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 12, 2020
Buford, GA
Does anyone else do this or have tried this?

"And what about the fat dripping into the fire and being resurrected as flavorful droplets mixed in with smoke? I save the fat cap and put it on the grate over the fire and let it drip away."

On my Lang, I put the fat on the top rack & the brisket or butt underneath on the bottom rack. The fat melts onto the brisket then runs down on the RF plate, and sizzles & smokes. It really gives some good flavor to the meat.
Al

Reactions: mike243
Does anyone else do this or have tried this?

"And what about the fat dripping into the fire and being resurrected as flavorful droplets mixed in with smoke? I save the fat cap and put it on the grate over the fire and let it drip away."

You could do it like I do my Double Smoked Ham:
All the Skin & Fat Trimmings in a Pan with holes punched in bottom. This will baste the Ham through the Smoke: (See Below)

Fat from the Ham, in a pan with holes punched in the bottom.
I put this above the Ham, so it can drip down on the Ham to baste it:

dscn1924-jpg.jpg
Here's the rest: double-smoked-ham-bear-style.236101

Bear

Last big brisket I put all the fat trimmings on the rack above and let it drip onto the brisket , will keep doing them this way

Last big brisket I put all the fat trimmings on the rack above and let it drip onto the brisket , will keep doing them this way

That works!!!
The reason I started putting my Fat in a pan, was the first time I Double Smoked 4 Hams. With the first 2, I put the fat on the rack above the Hams, but when the Fat pieces melted, they also shrank, and they fell through the spaces in the rack, and went all over the place in the bottom of my Smoker.
So for the other 2 Hams, I put the Fat in a Foil pan with holes punched in the bottom. That worked Awesome, and I've been doing it ever since.

Bear

Last edited:
That works!!!
The reason I started putting my Fat in a pan, was the first time I Double Smoked 4 Hams. With the first 2, I put the fat on the rack above the Hams, but when the Fat pieces melted, the also shrank, and they fell through the spaces in the rack, and went all over the place in the bottom of my Smoker.
So for the other 2 Hams, I put the Fat in a Foil pan with holes punched in the bottom. That worked Awesome, and I've been doing it ever since.

Bear
Great idea Bear...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky