Fat accumulation in summer sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rfro

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
Milwaukee, WI
Made my first summer sausage Friday.  Used half venison half beef trimmings, generic sausage seasonings, and LEM's large mahogany fibrous casings.  Did not use a stuffer, just dropped meat in, and did my best to get rid of air pockets.  Wasn't perfect when complete, but didn't take much time and I haven't invested in a decent stuffer yet.  Tied the ends so tight that nothing was able to leak out.  Should I have tied loosely so some fat juice could during the smoke?  Not the prettiest sausage, but it tasted great!  Oh yeah, used apple wood.  Thanks for any advice!!

Looks like your fat cut in was a tad to high, Temps to high causing a fat-out of the meat. Air pockets cause fat to cavitate in the pocket.

What were your starting and ending temps?

Still good job on your 1st

This is what your looking for.

Last edited:
Did not use a binder unless cure acts as a binder (what's a good binder??)

Hung upright in the smoker but horizontal in the ice bath is probably why the fat settled on the side.

I smoked this in my smokehouse build... so not as easy as just setting a temp and walking away.  I use charcoal and smoked for approx 4 hours up to 160 degrees internal temp.  Smoker thermometer on door mostly read 150, but clearly it's hotter inside.  I need to order a temp probe that I can monitor the cooking area & meat.  I was aiming for 190 degrees, but it's very possible it was too hot.  That must be the cause?

Again I'm showing my ignorance... what is fat smear?

Thanks guys!! The help is much appreciated.

I never exceed 170-175. If it takes longer to IT between 149-152 thats fine.

Sounds like I got her too hot... I'm sure I was over 175. I just ordered the Maverick thermometer.  From now on I just need to hit 150 IT and I'm good to go?

Thanks all.  I'll post qview of my eventual redemption...

I've had that same problem too. I think first my fat to venison ratio was too high. I use 20 lbs venison and 5 lbs hog jowl and  got the same results as you. The next time I went 22.5 / 2.5 and had a better result but stil had some pockets of fat. Also I was using a new smoker and having a hard time keeping the temps lower on the cooker. I believe the recipe called for 1 hr @ 150* no smoke- 2hrs @ 170* with smoke and 180* for 3 hrs or internal temp of 156*. I could not keep my smoker below 190 for any part of the cook, with the top vent open, the side dampers almost closed and the door slightly propped open.

If temps get too hot for too long, you get results that look like this—Some ruined venison/elk SS:

Wrinkled casings, pooling fat both beneath the hanging meat AND within the casings. Meat will be crumbly & have larger pockets or areas of pooled rendered fat.

Pretty gross stuff...but my big pup reaps the benefits....
biggrin.gif

Kevin

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky