FarmYard Sushi ( for lack of a better name ) couple pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
FarmYard Sushi ( for lack of a better name ) Did not know what to call it

Well like the title says Farmyard , as in no fish, just Smoked cured chicken and my Back bacon
Orange bell pepper, onions, jalapeno

This is my first attempt at rolling the sticky rice inside and outside the Nori paper. So be nice to me , lol

Here we go, made the sticky rice , the way I read and watched it done, Rice , water, sugar, salt, vinegar

1.JPG

2.JPG

I did 2 rolls , as you can see , seaweed inside and seaweed outside , just to see what worked better

3.JPG 4.JPG
5.JPG

Rolled then sliced, set up with the 3 dipping sauces. I love soya sauce so that and the Onion BBQ were the best for me.

And next time the fillings will be cut a little thicker. Or just more of it . And I will do again with different fillings . Endless

Sprinkled tops with Sesame seeds and Poppy seeds ( should have toasted the sesame seeds , I forgot during the process )

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

Now Mona came home and said they look great ..... But I'm not eating those ( can't get the raw fish out of her mind with the word Sushi ) and I knew this would happen
so I made her ( and for me ) Sweet and Sour Meat Balls with mashed potatoes

DSC_5973.JPG
DSC_5974.JPG

DSC_5975.JPG

Well as for the sushi, was very good the chicken and the jalapenos stood out a little more than the back bacon , than the onions would jump out on another one.

So I liked it and glad I did it .
Not sure if I really like the Nori paper. I also have Rice paper , so maybe next time I will use it

Thanks for making it to the end

David

Very interesting, like the chicken and bacon idea for the sushi as don't think much of the raw fish variety.

The sweet and sour meatballs with mashed potatoes looks delicious!! Thanks for sharing this combo!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Very interesting, like the chicken and bacon idea for the sushi as don't think much of the raw fish variety.

The sweet and sour meatballs with mashed potatoes looks delicious!! Thanks for sharing this combo!

Thanks for the like and the comment

I'm with you on that , like my fish cooked a little, this was just something I wanted to try for a while.
As I mentioned , lots of things can be put inside , and next time I will try with rice paper instead of the Nori

David

Sorry I meant to comment on the S and S . It is a great flavour. Just mix all ingredients add meat balls and into the oven for an hour . Thickens as it cooks
We make it quite often , quick and easy

David

Looks fabulous! Here's a twist for you.. use the bacon instead of the Nori

I don't wanna hog up your wonderful thread.. perhaps I'll post mine in my thread.. thank you for the memories of this experiment!
Thank you for the like and the comment

Now that is a great idea, always love a good layer of bacon on anything, lol

David

Reactions: kilo charlie
I really like your Nouvelle Cuisine BBQ David. You got a nice tight roll and the presentation looks fabulous.

Point for sure
Chris

Dude that is awesome! What a wonderful idea! The wife and I love real sushi but a lot of folks cant get past the raw fish thing and never even try it(they are missing out). Where did you get the supplies to do it? AKA the seaweed and sticky rice?

This needs to be on the spinner!

Nice work David, and a well deserved ride up on the spinner to boot! We're both huge sushi and sashimi fans, love that raw fish. RAY

Wow, I am duly impressed David. What an amazing take on "sushi", which of course I thought it was when I first saw the pic. When I read the actual ingredients I thought "I could eat a couple hundred of these" but not so much with traditional sushi. Just not a fan of it but I'd sure tear up a pile of what you created here. How incredibly creative!!

Robert

FarmYard Sushi ( for lack of a better name ) Did not know what to call it

Well like the title says Farmyard , as in no fish, just Smoked cured chicken and my Back bacon
Orange bell pepper, onions, jalapeno

This is my first attempt at rolling the sticky rice inside and outside the Nori paper. So be nice to me , lol

Here we go, made the sticky rice , the way I read and watched it done, Rice , water, sugar, salt, vinegar

View attachment 648618
View attachment 648619

I did 2 rolls , as you can see , seaweed inside and seaweed outside , just to see what worked better

View attachment 648620 View attachment 648621
View attachment 648622

Rolled then sliced, set up with the 3 dipping sauces. I love soya sauce so that and the Onion BBQ were the best for me.

And next time the fillings will be cut a little thicker. Or just more of it . And I will do again with different fillings . Endless

Sprinkled tops with Sesame seeds and Poppy seeds ( should have toasted the sesame seeds , I forgot during the process )

View attachment 648623
View attachment 648624
View attachment 648625
View attachment 648626

Now Mona came home and said they look great ..... But I'm not eating those ( can't get the raw fish out of her mind with the word Sushi ) and I knew this would happen
so I made her ( and for me ) Sweet and Sour Meat Balls with mashed potatoes

View attachment 648627 View attachment 648628
View attachment 648629

Well as for the sushi, was very good the chicken and the jalapenos stood out a little more than the back bacon , than the onions would jump out on another one.

So I liked it and glad I did it .
Not sure if I really like the Nori paper. I also have Rice paper , so maybe next time I will use it

Thanks for making it to the end

David
Nice delicious looking and interesting dish, I totally like the idea!
I look forward to all the playing around you do and what you land on as being the best and the best practices for doing such a thing.

Great post! :)

Nice sushi and great spin on it David! I recall you talking about that SNS meatball but that pic got my hooked and HAVE to try that. Got a writeup or anything?

David, we make sushi all the time. I use a combo of lox, cream cheese, imitation crab & cucumber, so no raw fish. If we have guests I eliminate the lox from half of them so they have no fish in them, like a California roll. We also put the rice on the outside, then roll them in toasted sesame seeds and after making them they sit in the fridge covered in Saran Wrap for a few hours. If I was making this for myself it would be with ahi tuna, but no one here will eat raw fish but me!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky