Farm Tour 2021

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hillbillyrkstr

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 11, 2013
Well things got a little crazy in my hometown this weekend. Luke Bryan came to town and played a local farm field about 3 miles from our home of Wonder Dog Ranch. In the middle of nowhere Conway Township Michigan.

I’m not a fan of Luke at all. Nor am I a fan of pop country at all. But the show was just around the corner and everyone I knew was there so why not? We had about 75 people tailgating with us so I needed to get something on the Yoder. I regret the lack of pics now.

I smoked 6 slabs of ribs Friday night cause I had to work Saturday morning before the show.

5E4711D6-F201-4F6C-8AF0-DB38A9ECA5FF.jpeg

The Yoder was loaded.

Turns out 6 slabs of St. Louis spares is the comfortable limit on the ys640.

I smoked them for about 6 hours. Wrapped them up with squeeze, brown sugar, apple juice, and acv at the three hour mark. Unwrapped for the last hour.

BC020A32-EE08-4CD0-B885-39DFFD9C89FC.jpeg

Fresh off the Yoder.

A3FC6EFC-0B4B-4774-95B5-937CAE1E4447.jpeg

Tray full of goodness.

I covered the ribs in more rub and spicy honey after I sliced them. The wife warmed them up in the oven a few hours before the concert. Again I had to work so this wasn’t ideal. It ended up working out well enough.

I fed the county sheriffs who were near us. Had to leave around 630 with my buddy who’s a dairy farmer to milk the cows. The deputies liked us enough after the ribs they let us drive the can am back into the show when we returned. Side by sides were banned so it was pretty cool of them. They laughed when we told them we had to leave and come back to milk the cows. That’s the place I live which makes it even crazier that 20,000 people showed up to a concert in the middle of a hay field.

Few pics of the show.

D8E1E604-39A9-4B7F-96CD-799BB897CA60.png

3036EC3E-E2E2-4A71-B1A8-C17B562DA6E3.png

C98D2D45-BB17-4B13-929F-9ACDC784A497.jpeg

EDD6A3CD-FBBF-4080-9637-59BC9547FEE5.jpeg

Me in the can am after I checked how many deer were dropped off for processing while we were gone, and waiting for my buddy to finish milking. Enjoying a nice cigar in the can am.

Not a ton of great Q view but an interesting story none the less. Our small town got a little crazy with 20,000 people in a farm field last night and it was the craziest thing.

Best part about this concert is the proceeds go to agriculture scholarships. That’s a big thing out here that most people never even think about. Farming isn’t easy and any support that can go to help the farmers is always welcome around here.

Here’s a link to the local papers story of the show if anyone’s interested:

Thanks for looking,
Scott

Not a big fan of "pop country" either...... But my boys like it so guess what I get to listen to??? 🤣🤣🤣 but......any way You throw it a concert is a good time in my book!

By the way....fantastic color on those ribs! I bet they were great!

Reactions: hillbillyrkstr
Not a big fan of "pop country" either...... But my boys like it so guess what I get to listen to??? 🤣🤣🤣 but......any way You throw it a concert is a good time in my book!

By the way....fantastic color on those ribs! I bet they were great!

Thanks fellas. It was a great time but I can’t tell you how much I dislike pop country. Lmao! Money brought into a community as small as ours is always a good thing. Money going to farmers and scholarships for Agriculture is a huge plus out here. Can’t thank Luke enough for making this happen.

Ribs came out good. People were happy. A buddy of mine did 4 butts on his smoker so we had a great tailgate. People walking by were stopping by and eating! Lmao!

After milking the cows and heading back we went into the show (roughly 4 hours after it started) and found our group. I stuck around for about 4 songs. Once Luke played the hunting and fishing song I was done. Left and tailgated until about 130am. Great time!

Reactions: Sowsage
looks like a good time, not a fan of that music either but a couple years back allan jackson was playing at a local fair here my wife wanted to go so went we did, got to say i actually enjoyed it.

Ribs sure look tasty! But an awesome thing to have go on! Not only for your hometown but also agriculture. Too many people think their food comes from the grocery store magically.
Thanks for sharing!

Ryan

Those ribs look fantastic. Add a country music concert. ( a little Alan Jackson , Merle Hag or Willy to name a few would have amped it up some :emoji_sunglasses: )

But good for the farming and local township for the money brought in.

David

I appreciate it David. Ribs went over well at the tailgate. And your right it was great for the township.

Scott

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Ribs sure look tasty! But an awesome thing to have go on! Not only for your hometown but also agriculture. Too many people think their food comes from the grocery store magically.
Thanks for sharing!

Ryan

Your absolutely correct Ryan. Farmers don’t get the credit they deserve. And your local Walmart doesn’t magically make that produce and meat appear. Great take.

Scott

Reactions: Brokenhandle
I am a fan of Luke and all country music, pop, old school, alternative... Call it what you will but I listen to it all. More importantly very nice ribs and a damn fine cigar as well. I think I need to grab a Diesel tomorrow before work, so good. Well done!

I am a fan of Luke and all country music, pop, old school, alternative... Call it what you will but I listen to it all. More importantly very nice ribs and a damn fine cigar as well. I think I need to grab a Diesel tomorrow before work, so good. Well done!

I’ve taken a liking to the diesel unholy cocktails the last few years. Thanks.

Scott

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky