Farm fresh chicken on wsm

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Great looking chicken and I bet being a farm raised local chicken it was excellent. I have a WSM 22", I sealed the lid and the door also bought another charcoal grate and wired it to the original 180* different makes a cross pattern and saves fuel as the charcoal burns down to smaller pieces, I also wired the charcoal ring to that. Pick it up shake it ash falls out saves small charcoal for the next cook(that really reduce my charcoal usage). I first used water in the water pan, now I pretty much never do, for butts, chickens, Summer sausage, smoked sausage etc. 3/4 basket full and a lit full chimney I get a good 8-10hr cook at 225-250. If I need to add more fuel I just do it through the door. I smoke and grill year round on charcoal (also have a weber performer 22"), the WSM has been real easy to maintain a consistent temp and to walk the temp up when making sausage really surprised me. With smoking sausage I use a different charcoal burn pattern.

Yardbird deluxe Scott!
I run mine (14") like Richie with no water pan but I replaced it with a 1/4" steel plate.Works VERY well.

Lmao normonster! You could be right! I’m not opposed to buying another one. But if I double up Im thinking I’ll buy the 22”.

Scott

Thanks crazymoon!

Pretty happy with the wsm at this point. Always good for old dogs to learn new tricks.

Scott

That’s all great info forvols! I appreciate it. I saw the tip on crossing the grates to save on charcoal in a thread a while back. Gonna do that for sure!

Being up here in the Great Lake State I’m a big UofM fan but I’ll tell you what in 2004 (think that’s right) I was down in Knoxville for the first time to see a concert at Neyland stadium and I couldn’t have but become a vols fan! Great building! Great traditions! Great fans!

Thanks again for the info
Scott

Moto,

What’s the steal plate or pot top do or add? Is it just to keep the heat offset when taking the water pan away?

The water adds a heat sink/moisture, and the lava rocks or sand will also add a heat sink. I’m not understanding what the pot top will do I guess. Please learn me.

Thanks
Scott

Scott,
I just use a 1/4"steel plate,no pot top.The steel plate acts as a passive heat sink and deflector.It holds some heat and stabilizes temps very well but enables you to raise or lower temp quicker.I cut it the same diameter as the water bowl.It seems to be the perfect amount of mass/middle of the road between the things you mentioned.

Reactions: Rings Я Us
Appreciate it chilie! Nice using a new smoker for a change. And we have a 2+ acre asparagus field at my friends farm we cut from. This is a great time of year!

Scott

Lmao bds!!!

If you only knew the amount of table food these dogs get.... I’m sure my wife would laugh at that tot statement.

I work them hard in training, tests, & hunting but they are spoiled. They sleep in bed with us! Lol!

Thanks
Scott

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky