Family Recipe for Beef Stroganoff - With Pictures

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hagewood91

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Murfreesboro, TN
I haven't ever done a step by step on how to cook anything, but I thought (after some inspiration of going through Mr. Bear's how-to's) that I would give it a shot. This recipe has been in my family for years, and it is a staple at family events and dinners. It is very simple and fairly cheap, and makes great leftovers! In this how to, you will notice I am splitting the recipe into two separate Pyrex dishes. This is because I was putting one in the oven, and one on the smoker to see if I could tell a large difference! ( PS I couldn't!)

Ingredients

1 lb of stew meat, or 1 lb of chunked up steak
2 tablespoons of butter
Pinch of Flour
2 cans of Beef Consomme
2 cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup
16 oz of Sour Cream

Start by melting the butter in a deep skillet on medium heat. Add your meat in and begin browning it. ( In my photo I accidentally added a bit too much butter, no worries!) After you have browned your meat, remove it from the skillet and place it in your Pyrex dish leaving the grease and the butter in the skillet. Now, add a good pinch of flour to your grease and make a paste.( This is how my grandmother did it, so I continue to do it that way!) After making the paste, I add one can of beef consomme and begin to stir and wisk with my spatula. Then, in goes the second can of beef consomme. I usually bump the temp up on my stove to medium high heat here, this just makes it easier to blend the ingredients together. Next, add in the cans of Cream of Mushroom soup one at a time, stirring thoroughly in between each one . Naturally this is a super thick soup, so the higher heat and stirring will help it incorporate into your gravy you are making. Lastly, add in the sour cream. I usually only put half in at a time and stir it in really well just to make the blending process a little easier. Stir your gravy until it has completely blended and has turned a light brown color. After this is done, take your gravy and pour it over your meat that you had set aside in your Pyrex pan. Cover your pan with foil, and it is ready to go either into your oven, or into your smoker, that is preheated to 350 degrees. This will be in your oven/smoker for an hour before it is done. After I put it in I usually take that time to clean up the skillets and such I used so I have less clean up later. With about 15 minutes to go in the cook, I start making the rice and rolls. My family has always eaten our stroganoff over rice, but you could just as easily eat it over fettuccine noodles! After that hour is up, take it out and ladle it out over your rice, throw a little salt and pepper over the top and dig in! If anyone does try this and enjoys it please let me know!
Browning the Meat in Butter.jpg
Adding Flour to make a Paste.jpg
Flour Paste.jpg
Add Beef Consomme.jpg
Add Cream of Mushroom.jpg
Add Sour Cream.jpg
Starting to Blend Gravy.jpg
Blended Gravy.jpg
Gravy Poured Over Meat.jpg
Stroganoff on Smoker.jpg
Plated Stroganoff over Rice.jpg

That is pretty close to mine. I do add button mushrooms 1/4 and some times white onion diced. Let it simmer until meat is fork tender which also reduces sauce. I also wait until just before serving to add sour cream. Either served over rice as you have shown or over egg noodles. I am assuming you also add salt pepper to mix.
kit

That looks fantastic!
Thank you for sharing the recipe!
I haven't had beef stroganoff in forever.
I'm definitely going to give your recipe a try.
BTW, congrats on making the carousel!
Al

That is pretty close to mine. I do add button mushrooms 1/4 and some times white onion diced. Let it simmer until meat is fork tender which also reduces sauce. I also wait until just before serving to add sour cream. Either served over rice as you have shown or over egg noodles. I am assuming you also add salt pepper to mix.
kit

I like to add to it when it is just me eating, however the family likes plain Jane. Salt and Pepper to taste for sure!

That looks fantastic!
Thank you for sharing the recipe!
I haven't had beef stroganoff in forever.
I'm definitely going to give your recipe a try.
BTW, congrats on making the carousel!
Al

Thank you Al!!

I have a similar recipe that doesn't use canned soup.I agree with Kit add the sour cream at the end
Richie

Dylan looks scrumptious. As others have said very similar to the way my mom and wife make it.

Point for sure.

Chris

Thanks hagewood,
I love a good beef stroganoff! Will definitely have to try it.
Have you tried smoking the meat first then adding it to the recipe? Just wondering if that would add anything to the flavor?
Gotta try it real soon.
Craig

Thanks hagewood,
I love a good beef stroganoff! Will definitely have to try it.
Have you tried smoking the meat first then adding it to the recipe? Just wondering if that would add anything to the flavor?
Gotta try it real soon.
Craig

I haven't, that was my first time throwing the pan in my smoker. I will try smoking the meat that goes into soon though!

Looks Great, Dylan!!:)
That could have warmed me up in the middle of that Blizzard we had here last night.
I "Like" It.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky