Failed-Brisket Chili

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sven Svensson

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 5, 2021
Sonoma County, California
Last weekend I finally got around to smoking my first brisket. I won’t relive that experience here. Although the point was perfect, the flat was not. I learned long ago that chili will forgive all your sins. Given the amount of brisket I had I needed to break out the big 8-quart roaster. I threw in a bunch of stuff like hatch chilis, tons of onions, ancho chilis, spices, tomatoes, etc. For good measure and added beefiness I added a quart of good beef broth. Into the smoker it went for 8 hours, uncovered, under some wings. After eating a sampling cup for seasoning purposes I put it into the fridge because we all know chili is way better once it chills out a couple of days in the beer fridge.

100ED98B-08EA-41CC-A59C-B8343404617A.jpeg
In goes the still-frozen brisket chunks.

2B6D3180-08D5-4E32-B956-2AC229E50127.jpeg
The next layer are the onions and chilis.

3CEFC317-A198-43E2-8287-4084A349072F.jpeg
Then come the beans and spices. Meat Church Matt despises beans in chili ironically “forgetting” that chili purists would balk at his use of tomatoes. I’m no chili purist and I love them both.

44AF69DF-A381-4256-B73B-CC0B7F40DE31.jpeg
Under the Angel wings they go. These wings were seasoned overnight with Frank’s Red Hot Dry rub the night before.

AA29812E-BC0F-41CD-89C3-EFCE4B142BB5.jpeg
The result was an obscenely meaty chili. There’s almost an entire smoked brisket swimming in this. Tonight I’ll make some Alton Brown cornbread smothered in honey butter. I’m a happy camper.

Going off the header..I thought "OH no! A bad pot of chili." Then as I read I realized that you were using your brisket. I also am in the beans and tomato camp for chili. Just the way I was raised. I will say this looking at your pics....Gimme a BIG bowl and a slab of cornbread.
Jim

And here I thought you failed at making the brisket chili too! LOL! The title threw me off for a bit....
I’m here with this, I’m making a chili for work this week and was going to take this as a bad omen. Thank you for making a good chili.

I used to get all bent out of shape when I screwed up a good piece of meat. Now I just shrug my shoulders and have Jane use it in her chili.

Reactions: Sven Svensson
I used to get all bent out of shape when I screwed up a good piece of meat. Now I just shrug my shoulders and have Jane use it in her chili.
I guess I’ll follow your lead when something doesn’t go as planned. This is actually a great way to use the mistakes. It’s crazy delicious.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky