Eye of Round ...Bargain Hunter Delight

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

weedeater

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 26, 2012
Northwest Georgia
Had this Eye of Round in the freezer weighing in at just under 6 pounds. Trimmed him up a little and cut him in half to make him a little easier to deal with when it comes to sealing him up.

954915E9-319E-40DD-8D90-807AE34503CA.jpeg

Here he is all sealed up with seasonings, onion soup mix, and butter.

FF6ECBFF-842E-4ECD-9153-21FE6F5E2A67.jpeg

Here he is going in the Sous Vide @133 degrees for 21 to 24 hours. We will be back tomorrow to see how she turns out. Plan on eating a few thick slices for supper tomorrow and will thin slice the rest on the slicer for sandwiches down the road. You will note in the pic that she is almost up to desired temp on the Anova.

8AAD81E0-F82B-44C5-8780-AE8FDB239839.jpeg

Well the 21 hours is up and the meat is out. Had two kids show up and three grandchildren and they ate the better part of the first half just nibbling and taking it slice at a time as I was slicing. They weren’t interested in staying for supper, just interested in snacking it til gone.

Here one half out and on the cutting board!
567FD180-A605-4755-A05E-7E7B3E0AD5C9.jpeg

Here are the first couple of slices just before the vultures started to descend. Definitely fork tender and oh so good!

B8ED1693-C451-4BE1-9887-F6B20E20A3F5.jpeg

This is about when I started to loose control of the situation. I could not keep up with the eaters in my crew. I fell farther and farther behind slicing to try to get ahead.

3308B725-FD29-45FF-9BC4-2EECDD3389E3.jpeg

This is where we ended up when they said Dad we have got to go. Not compaining! Don’t you love it when people like what you cook!

11DDFAFB-A418-4423-B4B5-099D6824F168.jpeg

Now the house is quite. The kids are gone. The grand youngins are gone. Now SWMBO and I will cut into the other half of the “Eye of Round” that I had planned to be sliced up thin for Sammies in order to have some for supper. Oh well! I’ll just have to cook another one soon. Think on this next one I’ll smoke it to about 130 and then Sous Vide him for an additional 18 to 21 hours.

Thanks for looking!

Weedeater

Last edited:
Had another small “Eye of Round” in the freezer and since the last one ended up devoured before I could get any thin slices for Sammie’s I Sous Vided this one.

Here’s a pic of it all sliced up and ready to get packed up.
CC3C16B1-DAA7-492F-9F5D-61D465C5DB8E.jpeg

Her it is all ready to head to the freezer to save for another day.
F7C1E3D9-4F88-4662-B1ED-1E6EEDF15198.jpeg

Have a nice day! Thanks for looking.

Weedeater

I don't believe I've ever had eye of round before. You're giving me some ideas...
It is a very lean piece of meat like all of its cousins with “round” in their name. They can be very tough, hence the Sous Vide treatment. Makes great sandwich meat when thin sliced and it’s cheap and often on sale around here.

Weedeater

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Looks Great, Weed!!!
I knew right away what you were doing, because it all looks very familiar to me.:emoji_wink:
Nice Job!!
Like.

Bear

It is a very lean piece of meat like all of its cousins with “round” in their name. They can be very tough, hence the Sous Vide treatment. Makes great sandwich meat when thin sliced and it’s cheap and often on sale around here.

Weedeater

Thank you for the info. I'll keep a watch out for them in my neck of woods.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky