Extremely Tough And Dry!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Norwester55

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 1, 2018
Oregon
Not sure what happened, I even had a can of water in there for moisture! Haven't tasted them yet, can't even slice them. ;)
IMG_20191230_200930.jpg

Heatsinks for autotuning my PID. After procrastinating about it for almost a year I finally got it hooked up yesterday and autotuned tonight. I bypassed the controller and put in an On-Off-On toggle so I can switch back to the analog controller if need be. Also a wallmount probe. I'll be able to get another 100+* out of it which'll be nice for poultry. I'll try a rack of ribs 1st to be sure that its taken careof the temp swings and then its on to some smoked sausage.

Reactions: S-met
Wrap them in foil with Apple Juice and give them a couple of years at 225. They should just fall apart at that point...JJ

• Haha
Reactions: Norwester55
Tell me more. Looks like a cookshack or smokin-tex. I don't hear a lot about mods for these. My only "wish" for my cookshack is that it went a tad hotter for poultry. Right now, I'll use my stick burner or oven finish.

Its a Smokin-It smoker which is real similar to the Cookshack/Smokin-Tex. I don't know if they're made by the same company or the two are knockoff Cookshacks. I saw a wiring diagram of the Tex and it was almost identical to the Smokin-Its with the exception of the power indicator light on the SI. You can bypass the analog controller on the smoker and control your temp with the Auber PID. SI's dealer says not to exceed 350* but there's guys going to 400* and higher. 350 is enough for me. Which Auber you use is dependent on your smoker size/element wattage. The 2 smallest SI's use the WSD-1200GPH and the larger models need the 1800 watt Auber PID's. I'm not an expert on all of this but have read everything I could find before rewiring mine. Heres the wiring diagram I used courtesy of Blackrock at the SI forum.
eta- I just looked at the Cookshack forum and it looks like some of the guys there have added PIDs.

Attachments

• SI Wiring Diagram.pdf
    47.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Reactions: S-met
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky