• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Extending stack on OC Brazos

Smokin Okie

Fire Starter
Joined Jun 27, 2018
I'm considering an experiment to raise the height of the stack on my Old Country Brazos. The stack is 5 1/2" wide with about 5 1/8 Inside Diameter. I found this galvanized steel duct pipe at Home Depot , 5" X 2 ft.

I would like to add this to the stack temporarily, just to see if it improves the draw on my smoker. Its only $5 , a cheap experiment. But I've heard that galvanized steel should not be used on a smoker. Would it matter if its on top of the stack ?

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
The galvanized section is outside and down wind... not a problem....

fowldarr

Meat Mopper
Joined Aug 26, 2013
Do you have issues with the draw on your Brazos? Just ordered mine, any other issues I should look out for?

Smokin Okie

Fire Starter
Joined Jun 27, 2018
Do you have issues with the draw on your Brazos? Just ordered mine, any other issues I should look out for?
No, I don't have any problem with the draw, just trying to improve it. I'm always trying to tweak things and make them better.

And I'm intrigued by some backyard offset smokers that have tall stacks, like the Aaron Franklin smoker and the one that Mill Scale is building. I think having a manifold or collector or whatever ya wanna call it would be a good addition also, but I'm not sure its worth the trouble.

Brazos is a good smoker. Obviously, there's more expensive , larger, and better but the Brazos will smoke meat just fine.

fowldarr

Meat Mopper
Joined Aug 26, 2013
Seemed like a good value. Heavy metal, good features. I don’t expect it to be a $2500 smoker so I think it will serve me well

Smokin Okie

Fire Starter
Joined Jun 27, 2018
I found mine nearly new on Craigslist . Got it for $600. I had no experience with a stick burner but was intrigued. I figured I could buy this one, and if I did not like it I could sell it for what I paid. If I did like smoking with a stick burner then at some point I could trade up.

And I'm really pretty satisfied with the Brazos. Yeah, I'd like to buy one of Aaron Franklin's new backyard smoker or a similar smoke by Mill Scale , but those are $4500. Will I get better barbecue with those ? Maybe but not $4,000 better. I'm sure they would make it easier to manage the fire but at the end of the day, its about how my food tastes.

There's a bunch of 24 X 48 offsets in the $2800 range and I might make that jump some day, but again, the Brazos will due fine until then.

I've had my Brazos about a year and a half. I've learned a lot on it. I just ended my tuning plate experiment by taking them out for the last cook. I think they're more trouble than they're worth. I don't worry too much about end to end temps.

Size of split makes a big difference. My Brazos does best with 8" long and maybe a bit smaller round than a beer can. Yeah, you've got to sit with it during the cook. But I enjoy that.

Smokin Okie

Fire Starter
Joined Jun 27, 2018
Here's what I've done. I could not make the 5" work, so I found a 6" at Lowes and made it fit. This is just a temporary experiment. I'm gonna do a biscuit test with the stack on and another with the stack off. After a few cooks, if I like this, I might go to a welder and get it done permanent.

the stack cap attachment was a small problem , so I used tin snips to trim some of the duct away. I did not do a great job of that, but I can fill the gaps with aluminum foil and it really doesn't matter if I get small leaks

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying! (But that's how we keep the lights on.)

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks