Explain emulsifying

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hondabbq

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 25, 2014
Canada
I have always wanted to make my own hot dogs. I have read numerous threads about the process etc, but the examples of the emulsification of the meat eludes me.
Just like making sausages and sticks there is a finesse about the tackiness of the meat before casing it, which takes a few runs to get right.

Teach me the ins and outs of the process.

Thank you for your time to read and reply.

Reactions: SmokyMose
I have always wanted to make my own hot dogs. I have read numerous threads about the process etc, but the examples of the emulsification of the meat eludes me.
Just like making sausages and sticks there is a finesse about the tackiness of the meat before casing it, which takes a few runs to get right.

Teach me the ins and outs of the process.

Thank you for your time to read and reply.
If you've read numerous threads you probably know about as much as anyone.
I tried it once with crushed ice and a food processor and it was a PITA .
Now if I want that finer texture I double grind. Use a course plate first, mix your spices and grind again through a finer plate. It's not quite the same but close enough for me, which reminds me I'm out of Weisswurst....

^^^^^Exactly what SM said, forget about it. Double grind & do it just like he said. You won’t know the difference. I’ve done both ways & there is literally no difference. The spices & cure #1, the casing & your smoking & cooking method will determine the outcome, not whether you emulsify or not.
Al

Emulsification is the result of using some form of mechanical action to bind together at least two ingredients that generally repel each other, like water and fat. Too fast a mechanical action can result in separation. Too slow and they won't combine. Double grinding is essential because you want as much tiny surface area as possible for the ingredients to bind together from the mechanical action.

I used a stand mixer with a paddle attachment to emulsify the ingredients to make snack sticks, but it too was a PITB. The ingredients kept getting pushed out of the bowl. I needed a bowl lid, which is sold, but didn't buy one because the meat amount I could process was too small.

Emulsification is the result of using some form of mechanical action to bind together at least two ingredients that generally repel each other, like water and fat. Too fast a mechanical action can result in separation. Too slow and they won't combine. Double grinding is essential because you want as much tiny surface area as possible for the ingredients to bind together from the mechanical action.

I used a stand mixer with a paddle attachment to emulsify the ingredients to make snack sticks, but it too was a PITB. The ingredients kept getting pushed out of the bowl. I needed a bowl lid, which is sold, but didn't buy one because the meat amount I could process was too small.
I have a commercial mixer at home that the company was going to get rid of as it had no safety guards on it, so I rewired it and I have been using it for years to mix meats for sticks and sausages.
I wish I had the grinder attachment for it.

Agree a double grind works well but legit emulsifying gives a slightly softer bite and chew. Only ran 1 batch thru the Champion so far but it is noticeable. Night and day from double grind, no but bet most could tell side by side. SmokyMose SmokyMose HUGE WW fan and is 99% of the reason why I got into sausage making.

Biggest no-no for emulsified sausages is to let the mince heat to above 54*F. The emulsion will break and you will get fat out when you cook them. Also, add the fat last. An emulsion creates a lot of binding proteins as the strands stretch out. as the fat particles become smaller, the proteins wrap around the fat particles and with the water added, this makes a glue that holds the fat particles in place.

That's the basics.....

... HUGE WW fan and is 99% of the reason why I got into sausage making.

I just made a light colored emulsified brat that was very similar to weisswurst last week. Used Marianski's recipe, but doubled up his 4 aromatic spices as the test patty seemed bland.

Can you talk about your recipe? I remember light white weisswurst brats from my time in Germany.

Interesting thread, honda!
It has me wanting to try emulsifying again. Maybe I'll try a stand mixer this time (I have a bowl cover).
I have 5# of butt ground for Kielbasa I need to deal with first, but I think I still have back fat for Weisswurst.....

I plan to do a writeup once I get it dialed in but admit I am already shocked how good it is already. For a long time I was convinced using veal was the secret, but it's not. I am using a 50/50 blend of chicken thigh + skin/pork butt. The spice profile is onion powder with a little white pepper and mace. Missing something still and pretty sure it's ginger. WW is a little harder to perfect as it is so mild and small changes to the recipe make a big impact and balance gets out of whack. IE HUGE difference between using pre ground spices vs fresh ground. I always make a batch for TG breakfast so who knows, this next one might be "the one".

20211121_145415_resized.jpg

The spice profile is onion powder with a little white pepper and mace.
White pepper is the thing you notice , but don't know it . If that makes sense . My opinion of course . No lemon ?
I know I have it here somewhere . I need to run some it .

Edit . NM . Found it and answered my own question . Need to go get a couple butts . ( from the freezer )

Reactions: zwiller
Oh yeah, lemon could be a player. Could be both lemon and ginger. Totally agree with ya Rich, "notice but don't know it" as we're talking REALLY small amounts here and what I call the "top notes". IMO WP without the mace and it's "barnyard". WP + mace and it's "german" and close to the WW profile but is not complete. Next comes the lemon and/or ginger I think. I have been slowly semi scientifically building it and have not got to those yet.

Reactions: Dave in AZ
I plan to do a writeup once I get it dialed in but admit I am already shocked how good it is already. For a long time I was convinced using veal was the secret, but it's not. I am using a 50/50 blend of chicken thigh + skin/pork butt. The spice profile is onion powder with a little white pepper and mace. Missing something still and pretty sure it's ginger. WW is a little harder to perfect as it is so mild and small changes to the recipe make a big impact and balance gets out of whack. IE HUGE difference between using pre ground spices vs fresh ground. I always make a batch for TG breakfast so who knows, this next one might be "the one".

View attachment 646393
I'm looking forward to the write up!
I tried a comparison of WW with veal and a mix of chicken, tenderloin and lean beef using jowl for the fat (I mentioned back fat in an earlier post but I meant jowl. Senior moment).
I believe I did a post about it a couple of years ago.
We thought the mix was just as good, if not better, than the veal.
I'm on the fence about ginger....

Reactions: zwiller
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky