Experimental Chicken Pucks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

enron khan

Original poster
Feb 4, 2014
So in my day dreaming of spring I decided I would give the above a go on the BGE. I combined ideas from the web and what's floating around in my head and came up with the below. Thighs, deboned and skinned. Yes, defatting the skin was a huge PITA. But I rather like the whole cooking process so it was ok. Deboned and seasoned with kickin chicken.
ry7yzyne.jpg

Muffin tinned and buttered fore and aft.
byqyqe4a.jpg

Took the BGE up to 350* to get the forms to set up. Did two experimentals by default just because my pan didn't allow for 10. As it turned out, they held form together fine without the tin. Totally unnecessary step if you ask me. Took them off after 1/2 hour.
utu3epyb.jpg

This is where things started to happen. I decided id take a temp and see where we were at. Much to my surprise the chicks were at 165* already. Oh crap, my glaze on the oven isn't even done yet. So I had to pull the plate setter because the skin didn't crisp up like I had thought. Basically, what I ended up doing is grilling chicken. I had intended to impart more of the applewood flavor by smoking for a much longer period than 45 minutes. My error was the temp. I should have 225* indirect smoked for around 3 hours. Definitely lacked the smokiness I enjoy. Interestingly, it actually turned out good.
gysytehe.jpg

Nice color. Nice texture. Plenty juicy and tasty enough. The glaze was great; plenty of sweet with plenty of heat. Kinda sticky actually.

Next time Id like to smoke them instead of grilling. Along with some wings while I'm at it. If I'm fussing with the BGE I want to fill the dern thing up!

Great looking thighs! Did you save the skin and fat for making schmaltz?

Deboning chicken thighs is pretty simple run your knife down each side of the one, then along the meat side that's still attached. Takes three cuts and with a good sharp fillet knife goes pretty quick.

Very nice color, look great. There is nothing wrong with grilled. Low and slow they still cook pretty fast.

Nice job!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky