Experimental Baby Backs on NFL Sunday

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gavin16

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 4, 2014
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Good Day everyone!  

Dillons has struck again with a great deal on my biggest weakness... ribbies! So why not grab a rack and have some fun! I decided to switch it up this weekend, and I've been eyeballing forluvofsmoke's blueberry rub for pork for a VERY long time now.. Found here:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/150084/no-salt-blueberry-cherry-rubbed-baby-backs-q-view-review

Giving it a whack, and mine is slightly modified... I'm using whole fresh blueberries, no peppers, and minced onions instead of the other chopped.  I also don't have a grinder, so I probably should've gotten fresh cherries also.. alas, here we go! 

Note:  This is also another trial for my new AMNPS.  This will be the first time I'll be smoking past 1 hour with it, in my NON MODDED Analog MES 30.  This will be a true test to see if/what mods I will need if it doesn't work.  

Little worried my rub may be a bit thin, we will see... 

Firing up the AMNPS! Like I said, first time I've filled a row and partial.. want to see if she'll make the turn! Hickory base with cherry on top.. Smoking around 225 using the 2-2-1.  

Here are pics after the 2 hour mark.  Was digging around in my fridge to see if I had anything to compliment for a foil rub... and I find a jar of raspberry preserves my roommates had bought! Ahhh.. I wish I would've found sooner for the rub! lol. 

More blueberries, butter, smoked paprika, rasberry preserves in the foil mix. 

They look a bit dry after 2 hours.. Not my typical rub, and again, probably didn't apply thick enough.  Hope the foiling will help this.  

AMNPS after 2 hours.  Not bad... right? Hopefully someone can give me some advice as to if that is an adequate look after 2 hours.  I know the white ash is ideal.  Never seen white ash when I had my wood chips...

Pulled after 1 1/2... Looking good! Got the moisture back.  Now in for another 1 without foil.  I also added potatoes when I foiled them.  Red ones, will probably mash 'em.  

Here is the look after a total of.. 3 1/2 hours.  Looks like it made the turn! So that's a plus... I should've added more pellets though.  After another 10 minutes or so I rechecked the AMNPS, all pellets were black.. so I tossed fresh ones on top to see if they'd pick up.  

This is where I stand currently.  

Enjoy! 

Those look pretty good Gavin. I did Bbacks yesterday, nothing special but my rub, Brown sugar butter and rub in foil at foil time for 2 hrs. Only been smoking meats since June this yr. Best I've made yet. Did a brisket too so I can get better at it. End result....

Those look pretty good Gavin. I did Bbacks yesterday, nothing special but my rub, Brown sugar butter and rub in foil at foil time for 2 hrs. Only been smoking meats since June this yr. Best I've made yet. Did a brisket too so I can get better at it. End result....
Those look incredibly good dtj16! I especially like the glaze on the ribs.  That's one thing I just haven't done yet... Maybe one day. lol.  I just seriously picked up smoking this spring/summer, after getting my smoker for Christmas.  Haven't looked back yet! 
icon_razz.gif

And... the meat is in! Yum yum yum!! I added some raspberry preserves to the potatoes, foiled, tossed back in the smoker for another 10 minutes on 300.  I still didn't cook them quite long enough... oh well.  Those ribs though... Even got some bark!! Just needs a little more tweaking, but wow! Roommates picked a bad weekend to be out of town. 
icon_lol.gif

Fall off the bone, finger looking good! 

I'm a newbie too, got June June 5th for my bday. I can definitely say I owe any success I've had to the experts great guys and gals on this site.

I'm a newbie too, got June June 5th for my bday. I can definitely say I owe any success I've had to the experts great guys and gals on this site.
Agreed! So glad to have found these guys.. I honestly might not be as enthused about cooking if there weren't so many ideas floating around here, and so many more great people to help out! 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky