Expensive Hobby....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So is this just like my woodworking tools ... some CAN be made sorta multi-functional, but buying well made dedicated ones makes all the difference in the world for enjoyment (let alone capability)?

Probably rhetorical ...

I have a $100 Kitchener #12. All metal gear drive and works great.
On owning a Boat...I had a 17' Bayliner Fish n' Ski. In 1987 it was $15K and a Ton of Fun. But...What a Money Pit! Just to put it on the water cost $100 in gas to haul it, gas in the boat and lunch. Then, there was not a single trip out that Something did not go wrong! Just picking it up, my Bro went to get out. As he swung his leg out, he kicked out one of the windshields, $150. First trip out, the Trailering Bar that holds up the engine during transport, Fell of the deck and into the Lake. $100. Another adventure, the Battery Died, $200 for a Marine Battery. Once the Pedestal Seat post got stuck in the front deck. It rained hard that night and the water caused the pedestal to tear through the Canvas Cover, $200. My Brother was out racing around the lake, jumping wakes. The boat came down hard and his knee hit the Throttle, Gear Shift assembly, shattering it. $300. Bilge Pump, $150. Annual Tune Up, $250. And a whole bunch of Nickel and Dime other issues. We sold it in 1990 and I will never own another Boat...JJ

I have a $100 Kitchener #12. All metal gear drive and works great.
On owning a Boat...I had a 17' Bayliner Fish n' Ski. In 1987 it was $15K and a Ton of Fun. But...What a Money Pit! Just to put it on the water cost $100 in gas to haul it, gas in the boat and lunch. Then, there was not a single trip out that Something did not go wrong! Just picking it up, my Bro went to get out. As he swung his leg out, he kicked out one of the windshields, $150. First trip out, the Trailering Bar that holds up the engine during transport, Fell of the deck and into the Lake. $100. Another adventure, the Battery Died, $200 for a Marine Battery. Once the Pedestal Seat post got stuck in the front deck. It rained hard that night and the water caused the pedestal to tear through the Canvas Cover, $200. My Brother was out racing around the lake, jumping wakes. The boat came down hard and his knee hit the Throttle, Gear Shift assembly, shattering it. $300. Bilge Pump, $150. Annual Tune Up, $250. And a whole bunch of Nickel and Dime other issues. We sold it in 1990 and I will never own another Boat...JJ

Like Me, you learned "A Boat is a Hole in the Water, you throw Money Into".

Bear

Reactions: chef jimmyj
As they say ... Bring Over Another Thousand

But I must say ... your story is worthy of an SNL or Monty Python skit :emoji_wink:

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Did you ever think about collecting fire wood? $60,000 pickup truck, $4,000 trailer, $300 chainsaw and another $2,500 for a splitter.

Warren

Back to original programming ... has anyone use the attachment for a Kitchenaid stand mixer? I have a cheap plastic standalone, and wondering about getting the mixer attachment, but wonder if still too light duty? I don’t expect to be in mass production, maybe a diversion once a month or so.
I use the Kitchenaid attachment and it works great. Well worth the $$. Chute is plastic, but the gears and shaft are steel. I have the grinder and the stuffer.

Good for grinder. You will want to get a separate -- stand alone -- stuffer. You will be frustrated with the KA stuffer. Tollerances are too loose, and you get alot of squirt back, and other issues. It can be done, but takes the fun out of it.
Just my two cents. R

Hey check on some big stores for top round whole or half here in south fl I pay $2lb all choice meat,the Latins call it (Canada)?
Well, I sold my wife on our grinder by showing her that I can grind our hamburger with less cost than she was buying it anywhere by more than a dollar a pound by buying brisket from 1.75 to 2.99 lb, trimming and grinding for her, instead of the 3.35 lb chubs, or 3.99 or more ground in the store packs.

SOLD.

The fact I get to use the machine, and brisket trimmings for sausage making is a "side benefit." Whooot!
y guy

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky