Expensive Hobby....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

HowlingDog

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 16, 2019
So I found a nice price on Amazon for my new toy:
View media item 554529$119 delivered (plus tax, of course).

Now all I need to do is try it out....

And, NOW I am looking at meat grinders. Got a little cranky with my hand grinder this weekend. My own fault. Kinda let the meat get warm and I think my pieces were a little big. I did, however start looking at electric grinders, either LEM or Weston. How can I justify a grinder to the Wife when I have not used the stuffer yet..... :emoji_confounded: At least all the results are edible!!!

What ever size grinder you think you need, Get one size bigger!

I have a Big bite 1 HP LEM and it has served me well for a couple of years so far. I grind about 600lbs of meat a year.

That's a great stuffer. You won't regret it.

Just explain that without the grinder, the stuffer is useless. (This may involve your old grinder having an "accident" lol).

Reactions: JC in GB
Just let her know that if she goes along with the new grinder your sausage will be made bigger, firmer, faster and more often. Wink,wink,nudge nudge.

Reactions: forktender
Well, I sold my wife on our grinder by showing her that I can grind our hamburger with less cost than she was buying it anywhere by more than a dollar a pound by buying brisket from 1.75 to 2.99 lb, trimming and grinding for her, instead of the 3.35 lb chubs, or 3.99 or more ground in the store packs.

SOLD.

The fact I get to use the machine, and brisket trimmings for sausage making is a "side benefit." Whooot!

Well, I sold my wife on our grinder by showing her that I can grind our hamburger with less cost than she was buying it anywhere by more than a dollar a pound by buying brisket from 1.75 to 2.99 lb, trimming and grinding for her, instead of the 3.35 lb chubs, or 3.99 or more ground in the store packs.

SOLD.

The fact I get to use the machine, and brisket trimmings for sausage making is a "side benefit." Whooot!
I do the same with untrimmed Tri tips that I buy on sale for $2,49 per pound.
And the burgers are 100x better than anything you can buy in the big chain stores.

LOL. This is expensive? Try musical instruments or woodworking. Get a $20 plastic grinder for now. Takes 5-10m for 8lbs of butt. In case others are reading, always spend big on the stuffer and small on the grinder. Upgrade grinder when it starts taking too long.

Reactions: jokensmoken
Well, I sold my wife on our grinder !
At first I thought sold ‘for’ the grinder ... reminded me of a friends favorite bumper sticker .... ‘I got this truck for my husband ... pretty good trade’

LOL. This is expensive? Try musical instruments or woodworking. Get
Do those too ... and boating ... but I work too much to use my hobbies as much as I’d like, and probably couldn’t do them all if I didn’t ... helluva Catch 22 :emoji_disappointed:

Damn work keeps getting in the way of a life.

Reactions: DAP and zwiller
Back to original programming ... has anyone use the attachment for a Kitchenaid stand mixer? I have a cheap plastic standalone, and wondering about getting the mixer attachment, but wonder if still too light duty? I don’t expect to be in mass production, maybe a diversion once a month or so.

Back to original programming ... has anyone use the attachment for a Kitchenaid stand mixer? I have a cheap plastic standalone, and wondering about getting the mixer attachment, but wonder if still too light duty? I don’t expect to be in mass production, maybe a diversion once a month or so.
disco disco uses one all the time.

I have a KitchenAid with a grinder attachment. It does the job if you aren't doing a lot. I wouldn't want to do over 5 or 6 pounds at a time. Any more and I would go to a dedicated grinder.

Reactions: flatbroke
Also, I agree with a prior post, do NOT use the stuffer attachment on the KitchenAid. Get a dedicated stuffer (I have a 5 lb LEM vertical that works great). I'd rather get a root canal from a proctologist than stuff with the KA.

I have a KitchenAid with a grinder attachment. It does the job if you aren't doing a lot. I wouldn't want to do over 5 or 6 pounds at a time. Any more and I would go to a dedicated grinder.
I don’t think I’d exceed that often. Thanks!

Also, I agree with a prior post, do NOT use the stuffer attachment on the KitchenAid. Get a dedicated stuffer (I have a 5 lb LEM vertical that works great). I'd rather get a root canal from a proctologist than stuff with the KA.
And now I see this ... sigh ...

And curious ... which is worse if you have the dentist and proctologist exchange jobs? :emoji_astonished:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky