Ever Eaten Lunch at FW Woolworth's Counter?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I remember Newberry's and Woolworth. My kids remember video arcades. Their kids remember downloaded software games.

I too remember eating and shopping at Woolworth's. They're still around, but only focus on shoes. Their name is Foot Locker...

We had a local department store with a sandwich shop and a drug store with a soda fountain station. Those were the days !
I also had a nice model collection that my kids never appreciated 😂.

Keith

Special treat at May Company, snack bar in the bargain basement. Hot pretzel and chocolate malt.
Also going to the corner drug store, soda fountain there, spin around on the stools while deciding, real cherry coke or chocolate phosphate??

RG

May Company, snack bar in the bargain basement. Hot pretzel
First thing I thought about when I saw this thread was the smell of those pretzels as you came down the escalator . Loved to watch them cook too .

Then there was Two Guys back in the day. More or less what walmart is today.

I just turned 50 in August.. This thread is making me feel young and old again..
50 as well here this past March. Yep, the Kmart cafeteria and the blue light special pole!
I'm gonna get a rotory dial phone and make my kids dial long distance...then mess them up and start over lol!

Ryan

50 as well here this past March. Yep, the Kmart cafeteria and the blue light special pole!
I'm gonna get a rotory dial phone and make my kids dial long distance...then mess them up and start over lol!

Ryan
Heheheee. I have a Motorola bag phone (the analog one) on a shelf in my garage, complete with the antenna.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
I'd like to go back to 50 ........... not back to teenage years because I don't want to do that over, but 50 would be good.

That was my first job, working at the Kmart Cafe! Ours had a Little Cesar’s Pizza attached to it too. We would make fresh pizza to slice and keep under a heat lamp so you could grab a quick bite. A single was plain, Double was pepperoni, Triple was pepperoni and bell pepper and Homerun was the works.

They would throw out the stuff and make new pizza every hour, it seemed wasteful at the time and I couldn’t tell you how much pizza I ate and saved from the garbage can. They called me the cleaner because I made problems go away, lol.
0E5486B0-C412-4047-86C1-45AA0C1F15E0.gif

Anyone ever eat at S&S Cafeteria? Ate there a lot after church on Sunday's as a kid. Might just be a southern place. Last one here in Knoxville just shut down. Was the classic grab a tray and go through the line and pay at the end. Things like Fried chicken, Salisbury steak, dumplings, catfish, fried okra, pies, etc...

Anyone ever eat at S&S Cafeteria? Ate there a lot after church on Sunday's as a kid.
Yes, we had one and also a Morrison's, but I always thought S&S was just a local place to us. Those 2 places were our after church places on the rare occasions that we went out to eat. Thanks for the memories...

Anyone ever eat at S&S Cafeteria? Ate there a lot after church on Sunday's as a kid. Might just be a southern place. Last one here in Knoxville just shut down. Was the classic grab a tray and go through the line and pay at the end. Things like Fried chicken, Salisbury steak, dumplings, catfish, fried okra, pies, etc...
Yes sir that a treat when we went to a larger town ! Classic country fixins. I believe there's still one operating in Macon. Need to stop in step back in time!

Keith

Thanks ! One in Macon was just up the hill(walking distance) from our office.
Loved it when we had regional meetings there! Always a great lunch!!

Keith

Yes, we had one and also a Morrison's, but I always thought S&S was just a local place to us. Those 2 places were our after church places on the rare occasions that we went out to eat. Thanks for the memories...

Yes sir that a treat when we went to a larger town ! Classic country fixins. I believe there's still one operating in Macon. Need to stop in step back in time!

Man it was a treat! I loved to get the Salisbury steak, fried okra, and cheese covered twice baked taters. Biscuits on the side. Pumpkin pie at the end! Sometimes they had turkey smothered in gravy. Southern classics for sure!

Took my now wife for our first date at Woolworths. I think that was 1987 or so. YEP just confirmed as the movie was Planes, Trains, & Automobiles. WOW I was 15... Yep, also 50. Don't really remember that place much unfortunately. As a kid we had a Hill's store and they always had nuts roasting, popcorn, and Slurpees. Thought that was really cool and would spend some of my hard earned lawn mowing on that. Half cherry, half coke Slurpee please! Later we got a 7-11 that was close to my grandmas and would walk to it after I mowed. That same 7-11 is there and is sad. ROUGH joint now and would not be caught dead in it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky