Ever crave those ole tv dinners?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
We were never big into the Hungryman dinners where you had a few things in the tv tray but we grew up on the Banquet Salisbury Steak and Chicken Parm dinners.

Hell, I still love the Stouffer’s Vegetable Lasagna and we have it on occasion when my wife’s younger sister visits and stays the weekend with us. That and plain Stovetop stuffing are guilty for pleasures.

Reactions: negolien
All way too expensive for my family when I was a kid
Similar here. We only got TV dinners once in a great while and it was like for good grades or something special. We never had any of the stuff my buds had like Rice O Roni, Hamburger Helper, or even Manwich. That said, we always had good meals and a desert. Usually chocolate pudding. I've told this to a few people and they mostly don't believe me: We killed a gallon a milk a day when were young.

yum

Attachments

• 20220512_081802.jpg
    20220512_081802.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 20220512_081749.jpg
    20220512_081749.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 16
I remember a time when we regularly ate TV dinners. I liked the sliced turkey and gravy the best, but my dad hated anything poultry so mom only served those when he traveled. Salisbury steak was a close second. I absolutely LOVED the dessert portion, especially the apple pie.

Dad refused to eat leftovers until his dying day. I suspect that's a big reason mom bought them. No fuss. No leftovers.

I don't think I could bring myself to buy one nowadays for me, but my work-from-home wife is always looking for quick lunches. Pot pies work for her. Might have to try slipping a TV dinner in the mix.

Wife ended up getting a job in the kitchen there and there is indeed a notebook with all the school recipes in it.
I would kill for the recipe for the peanut butter sauce served on Dixie ice cream cups in elementary school. I make a Friendly’s clone, but still not as good.

i used to love the Swanson turkey dinners , over the years they changed them some much that they just don't taste as good as they did
Maybe you miss that tang from the aluminum trays?

Banquet fried chicken is still good, but not cheap anymore.
Anyone remember the 70's Libbyland Dinners for kids?
1652384145488.png

1652384061318.png

Even as a kid, I thought they were pretty bad.

• Haha
Funny, I’ve been watching “Worst Cooks in America - Celebrity Edition” and they had them cook a lookalike salisbury steak TV dinner since the contestants were all on 90s tv shows. Pretty funny show, good laughs, I’m not sure how some of them tie their shoes, handing them a mandolin had me cringing 😱

Funny, I’ve been watching “Worst Cooks in America - Celebrity Edition” and they had them cook a lookalike salisbury steak TV dinner since the contestants were all on 90s tv shows. Pretty funny show, good laughs, I’m not sure how some of them tie their shoes, handing them a mandolin had me cringing 😱
I'm betting that they wear either slip-ons or velcro.

Chris

• Haha
I ended up making three kinds of beefaroni basically lol. Baked with shredded cheese and parmesan, noodle less for stuffed bell pepper and I made beefaroni with rigatoni pasta. I blame the whiskey lol

• Haha
Reactions: TH-n-PA
Haha. All the names for this dish. THAT is called rigatoni here and is served with bread with peanut butter. Looks great!

I would kill for the recipe for the peanut butter sauce served on Dixie ice cream cups in elementary school. I make a Friendly’s clone, but still not as good.
I asked and sorry not something our school did. I will tell you the recipes are SIMPLE. One of things I wanted was the "white sauce" and it's cream of chicken soup made with milk but a little less. I love trying to find out stuff like this and dug a little. Some good ideas here and they are simple so a good start. I was going to tell you to call the school but school health regs were put into place so I doubt they serve that anymore. Those glorious rectangular school pizzas we had are horrible now due to the new regs. Good luck.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky