European sausages?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well, in the Czech Republic, klobasa is the equivalent to the German "Wurst", and the English "sausage." You will need to have an adjective to describe more exactly which one you want. Vinna Klobasa would be the one made with both cream, and wine, very smooth and tasty, usually coiled, stuffed in sheep casing. Their "domace" comes from the Latin, loosely meaning "home made" (I think). This one is the same as the Polish White Kielbasa (white means here that it was not smoked). The domace is usually finer grind, and higher in fat than the polish Kielbasa bily (white). So if you see Kielbasa (Polish), Klobasa (Czech), Kolbasz (Hungarian), or any of those derivatives, it is just sausage, and you will need to decipher the adjective that comes along to describe just which one you are fixing to buy / eat. Like alot of the German Wursts, most of these will be fresh, and not smoked; they will often be grilled and served on a plate, or in a bun.

Here is a link to European sausage history -- very tightly tied to European politics, and the movements of people, and agriculture, and making do with what they had on hand. The link below is part 1 -- actually there are 9 parts you can eventually navigate thru. And you can pick and choose which ones you want to read. I thought it a terrific sausage resource.

While you are there, enjoy some Kolaches (Kolac), and the various styles of dumplings -- sweet ones, and savory ones!

Take care, and have fun, and let us know how the trip went, after you get back!!
Rex

http://www.kolarsky.com/family/cookbook/sausages.htm

after reading the page at the link, near the bottom is a link back to their home page -- go to "blog" and search thru there to find the other links on sausage (9 total), and dumplings, and other entries into their blog. R
Thanks for the link. Sure made interesting reading.

I'm visiting Hungry, Austria, Germany and Czech Republic for the first time. What sausages are a MUST TRY?

We were in Germany.
Try the mettwurst
Currywurst
Brats
White sausage

For dry i likes the pretzel wurst
hard german sausage (cant remember the name)
Try some bread also Brotchen

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky