European sausages?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That's kind of like saying that I have to sample each and every beer. YEA!!!

Edit, WAY TOO MANY OF BOTH!!!!! I'm looking for folks opinions based on "I had (xyz) and I wish I could find it here."

Ok, I'll narrow it down from the entirely too broad suggestions above.

Anything that ends in "wurst".

That help any?

Also;

"That's kind of like saying that I have to sample each and every beer. "

Ummm.. yes?

Reactions: Carvendive
I'm visiting Hungry, Austria, Germany and Czech Republic for the first time. What sausages are a MUST TRY?

My hometown was founded by Czechoslovakians (from now Czech Republic not really Slovakia). The Czechs always made an amazing sausage called Klobase. I think the kind we would eat is Domace Udene Klobase or something like that. I'm not Czech and don't speak the language so that is about the best info I can give. There will likely be different versions of the same thing. Look the the light pink ones in longer links with a coarser grind but try them all.

I hope this info helps :)

We're doing the Danube river Cruse with stops in Germany at Nuremberg, Roth, Rgensburg and Passau. Austria, we're stopping in Salzburg, Melk, Durnstein and Vienna. Hunger, Budapest for 3 days. Czech Republic, Prague for 4 days.

Cool, my favorite brat is the nuremberger brats...small brats stuffed in sheep casing with notes of white pepper, mace and marjoram..you dont want to miss out on those.
The Historic Sausage Kitchen of Regensburg (German: Historische Wurstküche zu Regensburg) is a restaurant in Regensburg, Germany. This is notable as perhaps the oldest continuously open public restaurant in the world. Hit this place, has some of the best brats that I have ever had!
And dont miss out on the wonderful cold cuts Germans eat for breakfast and lunch....have a great time and post some pics.

Weisswurst is a white sausage , boiled and usually eaten before noon with soft pretzels and a dark beer . I like Warstieiner dunkel .

Agree on the Nuremberg Brats .

A good Frankfurter or knackwurst .
Enjoy , let us know .
Also , if you drink beer out of the boot , the toe goes up .

Weisswurst is a white sausage , boiled and usually eaten before noon with soft pretzels and a dark beer . I like Warstieiner dunkel .

Agree on the Nuremberg Brats .

A good Frankfurter or knackwurst .
Enjoy , let us know .
Also , if you drink beer out of the boot , the toe goes up .
And the weisswurst casing is not meant to be eaten...used to get a chuckle watching tourists trying to eat it with the casing...tough and chewy...great advice on the beer boot..another tourist giveaway...lol

Well, in the Czech Republic, klobasa is the equivalent to the German "Wurst", and the English "sausage." You will need to have an adjective to describe more exactly which one you want. Vinna Klobasa would be the one made with both cream, and wine, very smooth and tasty, usually coiled, stuffed in sheep casing. Their "domace" comes from the Latin, loosely meaning "home made" (I think). This one is the same as the Polish White Kielbasa (white means here that it was not smoked). The domace is usually finer grind, and higher in fat than the polish Kielbasa bily (white). So if you see Kielbasa (Polish), Klobasa (Czech), Kolbasz (Hungarian), or any of those derivatives, it is just sausage, and you will need to decipher the adjective that comes along to describe just which one you are fixing to buy / eat. Like alot of the German Wursts, most of these will be fresh, and not smoked; they will often be grilled and served on a plate, or in a bun.

Here is a link to European sausage history -- very tightly tied to European politics, and the movements of people, and agriculture, and making do with what they had on hand. The link below is part 1 -- actually there are 9 parts you can eventually navigate thru. And you can pick and choose which ones you want to read. I thought it a terrific sausage resource.

While you are there, enjoy some Kolaches (Kolac), and the various styles of dumplings -- sweet ones, and savory ones!

Take care, and have fun, and let us know how the trip went, after you get back!!
Rex

http://www.kolarsky.com/family/cookbook/sausages.htm

after reading the page at the link, near the bottom is a link back to their home page -- go to "blog" and search thru there to find the other links on sausage (9 total), and dumplings, and other entries into their blog. R

Last edited:
Some Czech words you may want to remember:

(These are spelled the way they sound to us Americans -- spelling is not correct):

Doep-shay = Thank You
Doe-bray Den, Noetz, Rahno = Good Day, Night, Morning
Djye-koo-yeh = You're welcome
Pivo = Beer
Chair-veny = Red, Chair-ney = Black, Moe-dra = Blue, Bee-lee = White, Zell-e-nah = Green
Vino = Wine
Kled-nick-ee = dumpling
Kohlah-chee = fruit or sausage pastry

R

I recommend ordering a pork hock - veprove koleno in Czechia. It has a lot more meat than what we know as hock.

And try the real Budweiser while you are there.

In Hungary look for Pick salami in supermarkets. Take a stick or two on the boat with you.

Hungary has the richest cuisine from all the countries you will be visiting. I recommend their stews and soups (leves of all kinds, porkolt), paprikas (chicken in a creamy sauce). If you can find mangalitza pork don't miss it. I wouldn't bother with beef. Stuffed crepe like productions, called palacsinta, are out of this world. Both savoury and sweet. Don't miss Dobosh cake, Kremes (custard), kurrtoscolacs (pastry).

In any of the countriies you will be visiting you will find great cold cuts. Better choice at supermarkets than restaurant. Stuff your minifridge with those and enjoy while crusing the river.

My wife is Polish and a WAY better cook / Baker than I am. She's really excited to try all of the European cuisine. Especially the dumplings (like grandma use to make). It's a good thing we're doing so much walking otherwise we'd be coming home 10# heavier. Me, I'm a bread and fat adict - so I'm going to heaven :-). We both love meats and game so we're good for just about any taste. We're also going to be checking out the spice shops to see what other finds we can bring home.

Boot toe down sounds like a gusher waiting to happen :-)

Pivo. The only word I need to know.

Well, have a good time and document your travels. It will be interesting to see what you try.

My wife and I spent a week in Austria a couple years ago while our son was doing a semester in Gaming Austria. We visited the cities you have listed to stop at. Our favorite sausage was the ones sold by the street vendors in Vienna. To be honest, we didn't have a bad meal at all while there(or a bad beer for that matter). We have a Danube cruise on our wish list for the future. We remember seeing the cruise ships while we were in Durnstien and talking with some of the people we were with that had taken cruise in the past. Have fun, it goes fast.

One of my hangouts had beer and brat night on their patio tonight. The chef is from Slovakia, and made his home made smoked garlic sausage. Had it with spicy mustard, onions and sauerkraut. Very tasty. If you see a garlic sausage it's worth trying.

I know this only too well. I use to have lunch at a Iranian restaurant in Renton Wa. We'd go there for lunch. They had a lamb based sausage that was "to-die-for". It was home made by ma-ma in the kitchen. I wish I could remember the name of it. Best I've ever had.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky