Eucalyptus for coals

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rocamet

Original poster
Nov 27, 2020
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Hi everyone, new to the forum and hoping someone can help answer.

I have done a lot of reading and know that Eucalyptus should not really be used for smoking as it produces some toxic fumes.

But my question is, I am building an underground oven that will be lined with bricks or similar and was wondering if I could burn down the Eucalyptus wood to use for the coals. Once I have nice coal bed, the meat would be wrapped in foil or butcher's paper and left in the ground and covered with a metal lid or something.

I live in Southern CA and have over 250 Eucalyptus trees on my property and would love to be able to use what I have as opposed to paying for a wheelbarrow full of some other hard wood every time.

Thank you in advance for the help my friends.

Reactions: JLeonard
First of all welcome to SMF!
I really can’t help you, cause where I live oak & hickory are cheap & plentiful. So that is what I use primarily. However from time to time I do pay a little more to get mesquite. I’m pretty sure that you probably wouldn’t want to use eucalyptus because of the oils in the wood, but as I said I’m no expert. I’m sure someone will be on shortly to give you a definitive answer.
Al

Thank you.

I'm only wanting to use the Eucalyptus for the coals and the ultimate heat source. I'm assuming that most (95% or so) of the smoke would be gone by the time I reach the coal stage.

Thank you but I have read that thread and along with its mixed opinions, it only talks about smoking. I don't want to smoke with it, I just want to burn the wood down and use the coals in the underground oven.

Great! Thanks everyone for your help, just wanted to be safe.

I'll update after the weekend and let you know if I taste anything "Eucalyptusey"

It worked out well and we didn't taste anything funny. I used way too much wood and my underground oven got to about 570 degrees but the coals were great.

I realize this is a meat smoking forum, not an underground oven forum so I appreciate the advice.

Welcome...If there is Wood or other heat source and Meat, we love to talk and learn about it. Underground Barbacoa is always a fun subject here...JJ

Reactions: LakeErieSMKR
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky