Estimating the correct time for smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

timp

Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
I'm new to the forum although I've received the newsletter for quite some time. I've been smoking meat for a while but this is something I have not done yet.

I'm smoking two 7.5 butts at the same time instead of one. I have a lot of experience with single items but when I smoke two at one time do I estimate the entire time as one 15 lb item or do I just estimate based on the heavier of the two (in this case I\they are the same). I will have them on two separate racks so they won't touch.

Anyone out there have information on this?

Should be same amount of time as cooking one as long as temp is the same as cooking one.

You can roughly estimate the cook time for each butt separately, based on its own weight.  A good rule of thumb is 1.5 to 2 hours cook time per raw pound of each butt.  So for 7.5 lb. butts, your looking at somewhere between 11 and 15 hours.  Keep in mind that's only an estimate...the thing about pork butts is that they tend to have a mind of their own.  Just because they weigh the same is no guarantee that they'll finish at the same time. 

Good Luck!

Red

Seen red is right. There are no guarantees with butts. They may well have come from different pigs.

And if so, could  have quite different cooking characteristics. Best bet is to go low and slow, monitor the IT and they will be done when they are done. Good Luck!

Thanks...put it on at 1000 pm at 215. The IT was 182 at 0600 and I raised the temp to 225 around 0900. It reached 190 IT at 1100 so I turned it off to let it rest until we served for lunch...turned out great!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky