ERR 2 with my MES 40

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I think ERR2 just means it's not getting to temp soon enough.
  • Bad connections to the heating element (so it's not getting hot at all) was the problem for the original poster 5 years ago.
  • It's frequently bad connections to the factory temp probe, ie it doesn't know it's getting hot. Some have fixed that issue by tweaking the probe connections. What is the controller reading for temp? If it's lower than actual, there's the issue.
  • But sometimes you're just not getting to temp quickly enough, partic if you have a lot of meat or cookwear soaking up the thermal energy. (And it is starting to get chilly!) In which case some folks recommend blowing a hair dryer or heat gun at the probe so it thinks things are warmer than they really are.
One of those 3 fixes usually does the trick.

Read down to error code 2 and says it's the meat probe like mine issue and the pin was loose. Says first to check the element lugs and replace if bad and if ok then call MB. My lugs were fine and the pin was the problem. Don't know how the meat probe is tied to the element circuit but bad connectors some how throw the error 2 meat probe code. Read all five codes. The are for the gravity smoker as well so that has a plug in meat probe so that "make sure it's pushed in" doesn't apply with Mes.

Well, it seems that they actually pay attention to complaints to their Facebook page. I Messengered my complaint along with my disappointment at being summarily blown off and received a reply informing me they were addressing my concern back to the proper department, along with an apology that this had occurred. Later the same day I received a new email suggesting that either the custom smoke probe or the body probe would be responsible for the error 2 code. Instructed to remove the cover on the lower left side of the back of the unit and to disconnect the blue connector. Plug the unit back in and see if the error code went away. If yes, then the Custom Smoke Probe needs to be replaced. if not,then the body probe is faulty.

Disconnecting this blue connector cleared the error code. So now I need to order a replacement unit. Hopefully it will come with some diagrams to show how to replace this probe and where, exactly, it is, as the manual that came with the smoker is woefully deficient for such. I don't even know where this probe is, let alone how the wiring is routed into the rear of the unit. However, I am still getting GFI Outlet tripping whenever the unit is active. I am hoping this will be resolved once all the Christmas lights are out of the circuit.

Apparantly, the internal/external meat probe (on my unit, there are 4 ports on the controller to plug in up to 4 probes that penetrate the cabinet thru grommetted holes) had nothing to do with this error code as dr k suggested is the case for the gravity units. That is not to say I am disputing his comment. Disconnecting my device from my controller didn't seem to have any effect.

Point is, I guess, they do actually monitor their Facebook page. It's too bad that the only viable means to get somebody to communicate with is thru FB Messenger. But, at the moment, that seems to be the best way to initiate a dialog with them.

Thank you for the suggestions, and for allowing me a means to vent. Someone here had suggested the Facebook option. I am glad I still have a viable smoker as I really wasn't ready to throw this 2-yr old $700 box in the trash.

Last edited:
Well, it seems that they actually pay attention to complaints to their Facebook page. I Messengered my complaint along with my disappointment at being summarily blown off and received a reply informing me they were addressing my concern back to the proper department, along with an apology that this had occurred. Later the same day I received a new email suggesting that either the custom smoke probe or the body probe would be responsible for the error 2 code. Instructed to remove the cover on the lower left side of the back of the unit and to disconnect the blue connector. Plug the unit back in and see if the error code went away. If yes, then the Custom Smoke Probe needs to be replaced. if not,then the body probe is faulty.

Disconnecting this blue connector cleared the error code. So now I need to order a replacement unit. Hopefully it will come with some diagrams to show how to replace this probe and where, exactly, it is, as the manual that came with the smoker is woefully deficient for such. I don't even know where this probe is, let alone how the wiring is routed into the rear of the unit. However, I am still getting GFI Outlet tripping whenever the unit is active. I am hoping this will be resolved once all the Christmas lights are out of the circuit.

Apparantly, the internal/external meat probe (on my unit, there are 4 ports on the controller to plug in up to 4 probes that penetrate the cabinet thru grommetted holes) had nothing to do with this error code as dr k suggested is the case for the gravity units. That is not to say I am disputing his comment. Disconnecting my device from my controller didn't seem to have any effect.

Point is, I guess, they do actually monitor their Facebook page. It's too bad that the only viable means to get somebody to communicate with is thru FB Messenger. But, at the moment, that seems to be the best way to initiate a dialog with them.

Thank you for the suggestions, and for allowing me a means to vent. Someone here had suggested the Facebook option. I am glad I still have a viable smoker as I really wasn't ready to throw this 2-yr old $700 box in the trash.

Hi there and welcome!

Whatever you do please read the post below and do not throw the MES40 in the trash haha.
In short you can do a simple rewire (cut the ends off 4 wires and wire nut together to make 2 wires) and you can then run a PID controller.
The PID controller runs about $150 HOWEVER its like converting your current MES40 from a golf cart into a Ferrari!

The major strength of the MES units is the body and construction, they nail it here!
The weakness is the crappy cheap electrical connectors for the wiring and their electronics themselves.

If you rewire you bypass their electronics and controller and the MES plug will feed power to straight to the heating element.
The PID controller will plug into the wall and feed power on/off until the set temp is hit and then the PID will hold that temp right on or within 1-2 degrees of that set temp.
The PID controller has a temp probe that you drop into the MES so it can read the temps and cut power on/off to the MES.

Pretty simple and man it makes things awesome! No temp swings. Never fail to hit your temp. Tight control so no fear of melting fat out of sausage or bacon. Plus more benefits!

I know this may be a lot to throw at you but in a nutshell, you have an option that makes your MES way better than anything Masterbuilt makes brand new and it's way less expensive then buying a brand new smoker especially when the MES is amazing with it's physical construction and temp holding characteristics :)

I hope this info helps, and see below for a very detailed write up on how to rewire an MES for using with a PID :)

Well, after several back and forths with the MB support person, it turns out that the actual temp probe for the custom smoke element cannot be had from them as this smoker is obsolete and the no longer carry replacement parts. The thing is 2 years old, for crimony's sake. But, she gave me a part number to search for at www.appliancefactoryparts.com . Unfortunately, the part number provided, 9907180070, is the heating element, without the damn probe. And after some tunneling I finally found the part number for the probe itself. 9907180093. All the places that list the part are out of stock. It seems I actually have a useless $700 piece of yard art.

I communicated back and forth with Masterbuilt FOR WEEKS, both via email and with the person behind their bot on the website and app.

They kept saying they would help me but then kept saying they would close the ticket. they said I would get a call and the call never came.

I just spent $140 to have the Error 2 looked at and the guy declared the unit unfixable. I got it new out of the box over the summer and it is the beg of December. The unit worked 2.5 times. Now it is junk and landfill.

Masterbuilt was NO HELP when I was trying to bluetooth the unit. They just kept messaging me SOME UNITS CANNOT BE BLUETOOTHED and sending me the same two minute video that didn't even correspond to my unit. THEY REFUSED TO HELP ME OVER THE COURSE OF WEEKS.

Now that this is a different problem, I am not going to bother with them. They won't help me if the unit is totally broken. I can spend WEEKS finding that out or I can just not waste so much more of my time waiting for the assistance, or phone call, that never comes although promised.

• Wow
Reactions: tallbm
Hi there and welcome!

Whatever you do please read the post below and do not throw the MES40 in the trash haha.
In short you can do a simple rewire (cut the ends off 4 wires and wire nut together to make 2 wires) and you can then run a PID controller.
The PID controller runs about $150 HOWEVER its like converting your current MES40 from a golf cart into a Ferrari!

The major strength of the MES units is the body and construction, they nail it here!
The weakness is the crappy cheap electrical connectors for the wiring and their electronics themselves.

If you rewire you bypass their electronics and controller and the MES plug will feed power to straight to the heating element.
The PID controller will plug into the wall and feed power on/off until the set temp is hit and then the PID will hold that temp right on or within 1-2 degrees of that set temp.
The PID controller has a temp probe that you drop into the MES so it can read the temps and cut power on/off to the MES.

Pretty simple and man it makes things awesome! No temp swings. Never fail to hit your temp. Tight control so no fear of melting fat out of sausage or bacon. Plus more benefits!

I know this may be a lot to throw at you but in a nutshell, you have an option that makes your MES way better than anything Masterbuilt makes brand new and it's way less expensive then buying a brand new smoker especially when the MES is amazing with it's physical construction and temp holding characteristics :)

I hope this info helps, and see below for a very detailed write up on how to rewire an MES for using with a PID :)

Thanks for the detailed fix. I'll look into that.

I communicated back and forth with Masterbuilt FOR WEEKS, both via email and with the person behind their bot on the website and app.

They kept saying they would help me but then kept saying they would close the ticket. they said I would get a call and the call never came.

I just spent $140 to have the Error 2 looked at and the guy declared the unit unfixable. I got it new out of the box over the summer and it is the beg of December. The unit worked 2.5 times. Now it is junk and landfill.

Masterbuilt was NO HELP when I was trying to bluetooth the unit. They just kept messaging me SOME UNITS CANNOT BE BLUETOOTHED and sending me the same two minute video that didn't even correspond to my unit. THEY REFUSED TO HELP ME OVER THE COURSE OF WEEKS.

Now that this is a different problem, I am not going to bother with them. They won't help me if the unit is totally broken. I can spend WEEKS finding that out or I can just not waste so much more of my time waiting for the assistance, or phone call, that never comes although promised.
I can tell you that using their FB Messenger page got a response both times within the day.

Masterbuilt FB page

As for Bluetooth, I have found that it typically only works line-of-site for me. I step around a corner and connection is lost.

H Helen Ivy hi there and welcome! I wish you had found us before you tossed the MES.
The PID replacement would have converted it into the best electric smoker you could have for the money hands down.

I IronDogJCH keep on researching as needed. If you want to join the PID club let me us know. I honestly wouldn't fool around with MB knowing that what are you getting in the end would not come close to what you could convert it into :)

No matter what though, do what you know will make you happy. That is the most important thing :)

Reactions: 912smoker
I have not tossed it, but today I engaged a repair person who tried the fixes recommended on this thread and he said he could not fix it. I am a do it yourselfer but not with appliance repair.

I am not sure what you are talking about.

H Helen Ivy hi there and welcome! I wish you had found us before you tossed the MES.
The PID replacement would have converted it into the best electric smoker you could have for the money hands down.

I IronDogJCH keep on researching as needed. If you want to join the PID club let me us know. I honestly wouldn't fool around with MB knowing that what are you getting in the end would not come close to what you could convert it into :)

No matter what though, do what you know will make you happy. That is the most important thing :)

I have not tossed it, but today I engaged a repair person who tried the fixes recommended on this thread and he said he could not fix it. I am a do it yourselfer but not with appliance repair.

I am not sure what you are talking about.

Ok nice to hear you still have it.

This thread has lots of details concerning doing the simple rewire of an MES to use with a PID Controller.

In short the rewire cuts the ends off 4 wires and then those ends are spliced together to make 2 new wires.
At this point the MES will feed power from the plug to the heating element. The rewire bypasses all of the electronics in the MES.

Because the MES is now dumb and will feed heat to the heating element if plugged in, the idea is to now use a different controller that will take power from the outlet/wall and feed it to the MES plug which leads to the MES simply heating up.

The new controller will then manage cutting power on/off to the MES by reading the temp inside the MES with a probe and the controller will hit and hold the temp you entered into the controller.

This controller I'm talking about is known as a PID controller. Here is one here:

Going this route bypasses all the horrible Masterbuilt probes and electronics and allows for a much better controlled and performing smoker.

This is a lot of info to absorb so please ask all the questions you have if this is something that interests you. Know the best MES in the world is a free or cheapo one converted this way :)

I would have to hire someone to do this since it's beyond my scope, and there is no guarantee that this will fix the issue my unit is having. Today I spent $140 and was told it could not be fixed. The part you suggest is an expensive part at $150. I was told moisture caused the Error 2. I would be happy to have someone attempt to fix it and I will happily pay them if it is in fact fixed. But I don't plan to spend hundreds of dollars more on a maybe.

First you do the rewire as tallbm suggested,this will cost you nothing but 10 minutes of your time. If after you rewired and plugged it in and the unit heated up, you're on the right track to get the PID. Chances are your safety roll out is good, I wouldn't go there to keep this simple.

Reactions: tallbm
Helen Ivy, what part of this country do you reside in? If you were around the corner from me, I'd give you a hand to get your smoker up and going via PID

Last edited:
Reactions: 912smoker
I would have to hire someone to do this since it's beyond my scope, and there is no guarantee that this will fix the issue my unit is having. Today I spent $140 and was told it could not be fixed. The part you suggest is an expensive part at $150. I was told moisture caused the Error 2. I would be happy to have someone attempt to fix it and I will happily pay them if it is in fact fixed. But I don't plan to spend hundreds of dollars more on a maybe.

I understand.

Being out of your scope, anyone you hire would have to understand what we are talking about here. It is honestly as simple as cutting 4 wire ends and splicing to make 2 wires but any repair person you get to try will be clueless as to what we are talking about since they don't really know these machines.

Fixing it as it currently sits is not something I would suggest.
You already had someone look at it and without replacement parts there was nothing they could do on top of the fact that they likely knew little to nothing about fixing it in the first place. They should have given your money back if they really didn't understand the device or given you a discounted rated since it was likely they were walking in blind to begin with. It's a bit unethical to charge someone full price for work you take on knowing you have no idea what the work could even be :)

Just know that as long as the heating element is good (rarely is it out or bad) that there is surely a way to convert it.
If anyone you know is handy with cutting and splicing wires then you may want to direct them to all of the information posted here and they can do like P postmeister suggests and take the 10 minutes to cut and splice those wires for you.
If you plug it into the wall after that and it starts to heat up you know it's working.

Just don't leave it plugged in because it has no controller wired in and will heat up nonstop as long as plugged.
This is where the other controller would come into the mix if you wanted to go that route. It cuts power on/off to the unit.

In any case if this is too much to fool with I'm sure someone nearby would love to take it off your hands cheap or free to do what we are discussing. It's how I've gotten MES units for all of my family members that are rolling with rewired units and a PID controller :D

I, too, am a salmon smoker!

I am in Southern California. I welcome any help, but I assume that you are far away. But thanks for offering!

Someone here suggested that I buy a heating element off Amazon or wherever and I can still use the smoker. I like that solution. Can someone explain it more clearly?

Helen Ivy, what part of this country do you reside in? If you were around the corner from me, I'd give you a hand to get your smoker up and going via PID

Ok nice to hear you still have it.

This thread has lots of details concerning doing the simple rewire of an MES to use with a PID Controller.

In short the rewire cuts the ends off 4 wires and then those ends are spliced together to make 2 new wires.
At this point the MES will feed power from the plug to the heating element. The rewire bypasses all of the electronics in the MES.

Because the MES is now dumb and will feed heat to the heating element if plugged in, the idea is to now use a different controller that will take power from the outlet/wall and feed it to the MES plug which leads to the MES simply heating up.

The new controller will then manage cutting power on/off to the MES by reading the temp inside the MES with a probe and the controller will hit and hold the temp you entered into the controller.

This controller I'm talking about is known as a PID controller. Here is one here:

Going this route bypasses all the horrible Masterbuilt probes and electronics and allows for a much better controlled and performing smoker.

This is a lot of info to absorb so please ask all the questions you have if this is something that interests you. Know the best MES in the world is a free or cheapo one converted this way :)
Question. This mod removes the controller and turns the unit simply into a toaster. My question revolves around the separate wood-burning element. The controller, at present, allows you to vary the intensity of the smoke element from off to 5 with 5 being the highest.

I have said repeatedly on this thread that I do not have the capacity to rewire it.

I already spent $140 to have someone try to repair it and he said that it cannot be repaired.

I am not going to sink any more money into repairs on spec.

Someone talked about getting a heating element sold online and I would like to know more about that.

I really think that you need to recognize that most people do not have the capacity to fix wiring or rewire anything. Please stop acting like that is easy for someone who has never dealt with wiring, has no equipment, and is going to figure this out completely with no experience whatsoever over a website thread. It's extremely unrealistic and almost insulting.

QUOTE="IronDogJCH, post: 2279899, member: 240740"]
Question. This mod removes the controller and turns the unit simply into a toaster. My question revolves around the separate wood-burning element. The controller, at present, allows you to vary the intensity of the smoke element from off to 5 with 5 being the highest.
[/QUOTE]

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky