Emergency: Just finished the rub on my pork butt and my MES is tripping the GFCI and not turning on.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

recondoc

Original poster
Dec 6, 2016
Anybody know what's going on or seen this before?

We just had 5 days of serious rain.  I have a MES 30 that stays covered but some rain can work through the cover over time. (I found this out when I uncovered it)  I bought this unit at HD about a year and a half ago and have used it about 10-15 times.

When I attempt to plug it in, it trips my GFCI.  I removed the control box and it is dry with gaskets in tact.  The pan areas below the burner are dry.  I don't know what is effecting this but it worked fine on Thanksgiving for some Axis Deer Roasts.

Need some help.

Thanks,

Doc

Yes on heavyweight extension cord but I also plugged it in directly and it tripped again.  No non-gfci outlets outside or in.  

The wiring on my house just surprised me as it is an outdoor outlet on my back patio (no visible GFCI) but it wired into the GFCI in my Garage on the front of the house.  Not wired into the breaker that says "Outside Outlets".   Loves me some modern builders.

Grrrrrrrrrrr

Plan for now is to wrap the Pork Butt and put it in the chill chest overnight.  Will leave the smoker open to the breeze overnight and see if it makes a difference.  If not, will take the pig hunk to the in-laws place and put it on their Green Egg.

Calling Masterbuilt in the AM as well because this is unsat.

Have you plugged anything else into that outlet to check if it trips the GFCI? Slim to non chance, but there could be something fouled up with the outlet itself.

Eric

I can almost guarantee you that all your outlets are not GFCI. Find an outlet inside not near water like inyour family room or something. If it trips a regular breaker, your smoker's probably done.

Mes smokers are known for this. I used my for a year in my barn on a gfci outlet just fine. Smoker is inside barn and never had gotten wet. But this past summer humidity was heavy at times and it kept tripping my outlet. I changed it out for a regular outlet and have used it with no issues dozens of times since then.

I think I read when the contacts on the heating element get damp it causes the gfci outlet to trip. Something to that effect anyway.

If your not planning on changing out that outlet is out that butt in the oven tonight at 225.

The mes won't trip a regular breaker.

And yeah if every breaker has a gfci that's odd.

I can tell you this.  If it isn't easily repairable I'm going to switch to a propane unit.  I was really enjoying the fire and forget simplicity of the electric.

There will be Swine.... Oh yes.... There will be Swine!
Thank you to all for the information. I moved to the front of the house and found a non-gfci. That's all it took to be back in the game. Hopefully the heat from this smoke will dry out my internals. Will have to find a better cover or storage site. Oink on Brothers and Sisters of the smoked pig flesh!

Glad you are up and running!
My Rec Text trips the gfi on the outlet on my back porch.
The gfi for that circuit is in my basement........
When I run an extension cord from the front of the house, it doesn't trip....
Same circut!!!!
:dunno:hit:

Glad to see you save the meal!

BTW - I used an extension cord a few times ago and noticed a lot slower heat up.  Plugged directly in the last two times and voila - heats quickly, stays at temps easier, etc...

Might have to start storing this unit in my storage shed where i have dehumidifier set to 40% just to be safe!

There will be Swine.... Oh yes.... There will be Swine!
Thank you to all for the information. I moved to the front of the house and found a non-gfci. That's all it took to be back in the game. Hopefully the heat from this smoke will dry out my internals. Will have to find a better cover or storage site. Oink on Brothers and Sisters of the smoked pig flesh!
My MES cover leaks too, so I just put a giant garbage bag over the MES & then the cover.

Mine is stored outside & I'm in Florida where we are subject to torrential downpours almost everyday in the summer.

The MES stays nice & dry & is about 6 years old & it works every time I use it.

Al

Success!!!!  I started my birthday morning with Carolina style pulled pork in a taco.  It's a South Texas Redneck thing for sure.

After having it smoke all night, I plugged it back into the GFCI outlet and it runs without problem. I highly suspect it was trapped moisture causing the short.

Will be using a contractor trash bag under my cover from now on for added protection.

Thanks to all for the input.  

Doc

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky