Embers Charcoal Sale

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mychops

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 11, 2018
Long time viewer here and first time poster.
Stopped by Home Depot today to grab a bag of Embers. They are typically $5.50 or more per bag.

Sale price today was $1.90 per 15lb bag! I snagged a cart and 20 bags.

Attachments

• 3D33BEC0-F361-4EDF-9F73-F8E5B703BBE1.jpeg
    3D33BEC0-F361-4EDF-9F73-F8E5B703BBE1.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 136
Reactions: SonnyE
I just got 10 bags yesterday too. I've never used Embers before, or else I would have gotten more. I'll have to plan a couple grills and smokes this weekend to test it out.

300 pounds....
Safe to say you aren't a gasser fan....

couldn't you still add the ember coals to a gasser to create smoke? i've added kingsford charcoal to my wood chip pan and it created smoke. it gave my food a charcoal taste though, so maybe that's not a good thing to some people.

couldn't you still add the ember coals to a gasser to create smoke? i've added kingsford charcoal to my wood chip pan and it created smoke. it gave my food a charcoal taste though, so maybe that's not a good thing to some people.

I was mostly amused by his buying 300 pounds at a crack.
But yes, if you have something to burn the charcoal in, you could add it's flavor, I would think.
I don't use charcoal very much at all. Usually where I would use it is camping. In one of those stand BBQ's some campsites provide.
I had a Tri-Tip on my little portable propane BBQ, and a Grandson's first big fish wrapped in foil over coals.
Both were amazingly good.

But charcoal isn't something I have ever tried adding to my Pellets or Dust for smoking.

I picked up ten bags day before yesterday. I still had 20 bags of RO Ridge in the garage, but at $1.90/bag for the same thing, I couldn't resist.

Embers is definitely RO Ridge charcoal. My first impression is the stuff that goes in the RO Ridge bag is close to a perfect stamp. The Embers briqs, exact same shape, seemed more imperfect, especially around the edges. The bag had more broken briqs in it than a Ridge bag, but I'm basing this all on the one Embers bag I've opened. Might have just got a bad bag that got crushed in shipping or the store. I've used Embers before, but it was a while ago, and I didn't pay any attention to the details.

That said, I fired up the Kettle last night for some bone-in, skin-on thighs using Embers. I didn't use any wood in my Kettle to see if the Embers would impart any taste. It didn't, just like the Ridge. Same stuff.

The engineer in me wouldn't stop. I picked four random briqs out of a RO Ridge bag, and four random briqs out of the Embers bag. Embers is definitely the less perfect briqs. The four RO briqs weight 1.0 to 1.10 oz each. The Embers briqs weighed 1.10 to 1.20 oz each.

I don't need perfect briqs, but I do think I need ten more bags of Embers!

001.JPG

Reactions: yankee2bbq
I found out my local home depot has 2 pallets of this and wanted to pick some up. Then i read the reviews on homedepot.com and it seemed a lot of reviews are about how hard they are to light and how fast and hot they burn. But you guys seem to like it so maybe I'll pick up 20 bags or so.

I was mostly amused by his buying 300 pounds at a crack.

I have read enough of noboundaries reviews to know that $1.90 wasn't coming around often. My bags of Embers stack so nicely in the closet. Hope someone else out there went and grabbed this!

I couldn't pass this up. Picked up 18 bags .Tempted to get 18 more at this price.

20190126_095445.jpg

I have read enough of noboundaries reviews to know that $1.90 wasn't coming around often. My bags of Embers stack so nicely in the closet. Hope someone else out there went and grabbed this!

As far as I know, Charcoal has a very long shelf life. So it prompts the Question: Can you ever have Too Much?

got 10 bags this morning
the woman at the register said "are you going to have a bbq?"
i looked at her, paused for a second and replied - yes

I'd told her something like, "No. I use it in my pool filter."
But then, I'm a smart a$$.

Man Tricks Woman Into Believing He Is On A Dog Food Diet

I don’t know the origins of this story but it goes to show that people who ask silly questions sometimes get very silly answers!

“I was buying a large bag of Purina dog chow for my dog at Walmart and standing in line at the check out.

“A woman behind me asked if I had a dog.

“On impulse, I told her that no, I was starting the Purina Diet again although I probably shouldn’t because I’d ended up in the hospital last time, but that I’d lost 50 pounds before I awakened in an intensive care ward with tubes coming out of most of my orifices and IVs in both arms.

“I told her that it was essentially a perfect diet and that the way that it works is to load your pants pockets with Purina nuggets and simply eat one or two every time you feel hungry and that the food is nutritionally complete so I was going to try it again.

“I have to mention here that practically everyone in the line was by now enthralled with my story, particularly a guy who was behind her.

“Horrified, she asked if I’d ended up in the hospital in that condition because I had been poisoned by the dog food. I told her no; I stepped off a curb to sniff a poodle’s ass and a car hit me.

“I thought the guy behind her was going to have a heart attack he was laughing so hard.”

This joke has been circulating for years, but it still makes me laugh!

I just cooked up some burgers for lunch with the Embers charcoal. Contrary to the homedepot.com reviews, these lit up just as quick as any other charcoal I've used. Having used Kingsford for as long as i can remember, these Embers have a distinctly different flavor to them that I'll have to get used to.

After noboundaries gave it his nod of approval and my NY strips didn’t acquire any off flavors, I went back and got 12 more bags. It defiantly lacks the distinctive Kingsford smell that is embedded in my head as what charcoal smells like, but it is probably a cleaner burn since it smells more like plain wood burning. The cheapskate in me wants to get more, but 340 lb is already pushing it with the wife.

I also got the “Are you planning a big BBQ?” From the cashier. I said “No, just several small ones”

Reactions: Mychops
I picked up ten bags day before yesterday. I still had 20 bags of RO Ridge in the garage, but at $1.90/bag for the same thing, I couldn't resist.

Embers is definitely RO Ridge charcoal. My first impression is the stuff that goes in the RO Ridge bag is close to a perfect stamp. The Embers briqs, exact same shape, seemed more imperfect, especially around the edges. The bag had more broken briqs in it than a Ridge bag, but I'm basing this all on the one Embers bag I've opened. Might have just got a bad bag that got crushed in shipping or the store. I've used Embers before, but it was a while ago, and I didn't pay any attention to the details.

That said, I fired up the Kettle last night for some bone-in, skin-on thighs using Embers. I didn't use any wood in my Kettle to see if the Embers would impart any taste. It didn't, just like the Ridge. Same stuff.

The engineer in me wouldn't stop. I picked four random briqs out of a RO Ridge bag, and four random briqs out of the Embers bag. Embers is definitely the less perfect briqs. The four RO briqs weight 1.0 to 1.10 oz each. The Embers briqs weighed 1.10 to 1.20 oz each.

I don't need perfect briqs, but I do think I need ten more bags of Embers!

View attachment 386446
The charcoal nerd has struck again!!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky