elk hunt 2009, qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

erain

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 2, 2008
cental minnesota
no i dont have any big elk to show off this year... actually come to think of it i never have lol!!! but it was a great year for us. we all went out opening morning and every last one of us seen animals, and not a single one of us pulled a trigger.... you know first morningitis.... there will be bigger ones later. well then the snow came and we didnt see any more animals go figure. but one a that young uns did drop a cow elk on the last day so at least we all get a bit a meat.
not much else to say except i know some a you all remember our last years trip... tumor the size a tennis ball etc... well here is me and my bro in law just before coming down this year. so yea it was a great year especially when your best hunting and fishing buddy was there to enjoy it with you!!!

i took this pic in walden colorado, think gunny has some relatives there???

anyway thats all i have for now, will leave you with some more pics from this year.
goldie,cruise,mingo, and elvis... without them it wouldnt be possible!!!

thks for cking my pixs...

darn the luck...but still a good time for ya i'm sure. I sure hope the weather gets cold and snowy by the time my hunt gets going.

Great pics!!! I love the mountains!!!! Sorry ya didn't score one.

Deer season is open but I haven't gone yet, waiting for the weather to cool down on a more regular basis. Does oughta start goin into their first estrus cycle in about 3 weeks. I should get my butt out there and check things out but the crops are still up here in Illlinois. Maybe with some dry weather the farmer will pick his crops and I won't have to worry about doing any damage. I usually get 2 or 3 deer per season except last year. The weather was awful and the deer were moving mostly at night.
I got one the last day of hunting with 10 mins. shooting time left, that was close!!!!!

You still had good luck, that's some great country you got to see and a feeling most others will never know or understand......

Thanks for sharing......
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Beautiful pics E!

I'm so glad you all got to go. Who cares if you didn't get an elk, just the fact that you and BIL are there together and healthy....that's wonderful!!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
cool.gif

Well Erain, thats what its all about. Preparing for the hunt, spending time with your hunting buddies, awesome scenery and some good camp food. Getting your tag filled is just a bonus to an already awesome time. I'd swear, the area in your photos looks just like the area we went to a few years back, the flattop wilderness area. Glad you had a good time, now that your back in Minnesota, time to get ready for deer hunting here
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Chance to see Great Scenery if nothing else, bit cold looking, probably why you didn't get any elk, they were all in by the fire keeping warm, unlike those out looking for them...
icon_mrgreen.gif

I love the mountains in Colorado and Wyoming...
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Man that is some beautiful country and some really cold looking snow. Thats defintaly some good time no matter if you didnt get a elk. I guess thats why they call it hunting and not killing. Great pics and don't foget the camera next time too please.

Erain great pics and I'm sure glad you got to enjoy it with your brother in law again. Those are some fantastic views
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Nice pics Erain. Two more weeks and we'll be in the vicinity. We hunt lower elevations so have to wait for bad weather up high.

It's not always about the kill, but about the experience. Looks like a wonderful trip. A trip like that is a real dream of mine. Glad you had a great time!!!

Thanks for sharing Erain. Glad you got some meat anyway.

GREAT PICS Erain !
Glad your Bro-in-law made the trip with you!

Also glad to see "Elvis" is alive & well too.

Bearcarver

Wow, great post! I'm not a hunter, but if I was that's the type of hunting I would enjoy. Sitting in a deer stand all day doesn't do anything for me. Great pics too!

DAve

i forgot a cuple pixs.... the dawg likes his new bone!!!

and here the real deal, nothing smoked here, fresh elk meat seasoned with just some garlic salt and CBP, dredged in flour and pan fried with onions. some squash from the garden and oops, store bought rice side. .

Great picts. I miss those mountains from when I lived in Denver. I was wondering if you were elk hunting in Minnesota when you'd mentioned the other day you were going. Thought maybe way up north there might be a couple of those.

jay, they actualy do have a couple herds in state. one in northwest mn. but the tags are very limeted. would be nice but it wouldnt be the same without the mountains!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky