Electric smoker element

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JHiebs

Original poster
Jul 30, 2020
Any idea where I can get my hands on electric smoker elements?
It’s for a fairly BIG smoker.

Welcome to SMF! Drop by roll call and introduce yourself.

Check out Amazon they have a good selection. What type of smoker are you repairing? It may be a good time to upgrade to a PID type controller, make it play really well. Search is your friend here!

RG

Reactions: JC in GB
Welcome to SMF! Drop by roll call and introduce yourself.

Check out Amazon they have a good selection. What type of smoker are you repairing? It may be a good time to upgrade to a PID type controller, make it play really well. Search is your friend here!

RG
It’s a big, 10ft x 4ft smoker. Fed with 220v

Yes, use an oven element, not a hot water heater element. Oven elements are for installation in air. Air does not carry heat away anywhere near as efficiently as water. A hot water heater element in air will overheat and fail.
If you use a 240V water heater element with 120v supplied (so 1/4 the power) and you have it spring-clamped to a large steel plate, you'll probably be alright. But I usually put a large diode in series with the 120V to further reduce the power to 1/8.
But best to just use an element designed for use in air.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky